Profiles

Post by Namir Rodrigue » Sun, 23 Jun 2002 04:32:03

Hi all!

I need to know if I can implement something like Oracle
Profiles in SQL Server.

I need to manage Password Expiration, Minimun Password
Lengths, etc with SQL Server logins (no Windows logins).

Thanks

Profiles

Post by Sue Hoegemeie » Sun, 23 Jun 2002 04:48:03

Unfortunately, this isn't available when using SQL Logins -
it's only available if using Windows Authentication and
setting password policies at the Network level.

-Sue

On Fri, 21 Jun 2002 12:32:03 -0700, "Namir Rodriguez"

>Hi all!

>I need to know if I can implement something like Oracle
>Profiles in SQL Server.

>I need to manage Password Expiration, Minimun Password
>Lengths, etc with SQL Server logins (no Windows logins).

>Thanks

1. Architect Question: Creating profile and sub-profile

Here is a scenario...

An online data seller, McgrawHill Inc., sells science,
business, and philosopy data to Universities.  McgrawHill
would like to make a university profile for universities.
For example, if MIT subscribe for science and business
articles then their search screen will only display
science categories such as information technology,
computer engineering and business categories such as
economics, management, etc.

And, university would like to make the profile for
different teachers to what they can search. For example,
when computer science teachers log in then they will see
an option to search for information technology article
only.

The easiest solution would be creating a sql server views
for each university and creating views for each teacher
calling their university view. For example,

vMITUniversity:
select * from Article where ArticleType = 'Science'

vAlbertEinstien:
select * from vMITUniversity where ArticleSubType
= 'information technology'

Above sql-server view solution works well in terms of what
the university and their user can see. Especially, if MIT
every try to cut back their subscription to science only
then McGrawHill has to update only MIT view.  All teachers
view are inherited from MIT view so no need to change or
update their views.

However, the view solution is cumbersome when you have
1000 Universities and each University has 100
users/teachers. It would result in 1000+100,000 = 101,000
views.  I am not sure if the performance will slow as
number of views will increase.

Here is a question: I would like to know what is the
standard industry practise to solve this problems. Some
suggest holding university and user profile information in
2 profile tables and use store proc instead of views. Some
suggest creating different databases for different
university.

Any help or feed back would be appreciated.

2. D3/any jobs in northeast questions

3. SQL*Plus site profile/user profile on Solaris

4. BCP importing: trailing blanks not truncated ???

5. Newbie: Access profile

6. Defining keys

7. SQLMail service profile dissapearing in SQLMail properties

8. Creating a group

9. Collecting a profile in the background?

10. Boston, MA -- Sr. Software Engineer - Trading Systems Development - High Profile Position - C, UNIX, SQL, GUI

11. How to profile and develop remotely

12. Data Name Source - Mandatory Profile