MMC in win98 doesn't work!!Urgent

Post by Kristian Sk?l » Fri, 02 Jun 2000 04:00:00

When I try to start the EnterpriseManager(I have installed the
sql7desktopedition) I get an error message, which says something like
this(had to translate it from german):
MMC caused an error with an unvalid page in modul <unknown> at
0000:0020003e.

It seems, something in my system is messed up.Now,my question is, can I just
reinstall sql7 (without uninstalling it) and will that make the problem
disappear?If I do that, what will happen to my databases?Wil they be
untouched,or are they all gone, after reinstalling?Can I make a backup of
all my databases and get them back after everything else is running smoothly
again?
A lot of questions, but as long as that enterprisemanager doesn't work, I
can't do anything, so I would really appreciate a quick response.
Thank you very much
Kristian

MMC in win98 doesn't work!!Urgent

Post by Curt » Fri, 02 Jun 2000 04:00:00

You can try to load over the top. It's really a guessing game at that point
though. It may or may not take care of what's wrong. Are you running 98
First Ed or Second Ed. I know I had a problem until I went to 98SE. That
seemed to help. Also make sure to put back on any patches/fixes to the OS
after the  SQL Install.

Curt

Quote:> When I try to start the EnterpriseManager(I have installed the
> sql7desktopedition) I get an error message, which says something like
> this(had to translate it from german):
> MMC caused an error with an unvalid page in modul <unknown> at
> 0000:0020003e.

> It seems, something in my system is messed up.Now,my question is, can I
just
> reinstall sql7 (without uninstalling it) and will that make the problem
> disappear?If I do that, what will happen to my databases?Wil they be
> untouched,or are they all gone, after reinstalling?Can I make a backup of
> all my databases and get them back after everything else is running
smoothly
> again?
> A lot of questions, but as long as that enterprisemanager doesn't work, I
> can't do anything, so I would really appreciate a quick response.
> Thank you very much
> Kristian

MMC in win98 doesn't work!!Urgent

Post by Kristian Sk?l » Sun, 04 Jun 2000 04:00:00

I've de- and reinstalled sqlserver, but nothing. As sson as I try to start
the mmc, I get the same error. I someone gave the tip, that the mmc
'konsole' (don't know the term in english) might be destroyed, and that
starting mmc, making a new enterprisemanager snapin might solve the problem.
However, as I said, i can't even start the mmc.
Everything else is working fine (I think).
Any more ideas, what I should do?
I've found a few places on the net, where someone has the same problem, but
I haven't seen a good answer to it yet.
Thanks
Kristian