tape backup

Post by Dan G » Fri, 10 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Hi I just set up the sql server 7, there is a compaq tape drive attached in
this machine, and it is working fine in the seagate 7.3 backup system under
NT. But when try to backup to tape device in enterprise manager, it keeps on
telling me the tape device is not on line, what could be the problem? how
can I configure the tape drive in Enterprise Manager to be able to recognize
the tape.
thank you.
Dan.

tape backup

Post by Neil Pik » Fri, 10 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Dan - BAckup Exec can "grab" the tape drive for it's exclusive use.  You can
change this in the config/oiptions for Backup Exec

Quote:> Hi I just set up the sql server 7, there is a compaq tape drive attached in
> this machine, and it is working fine in the seagate 7.3 backup system under
> NT. But when try to backup to tape device in enterprise manager, it keeps on
> telling me the tape device is not on line, what could be the problem? how
> can I configure the tape drive in Enterprise Manager to be able to recognize
> the tape.
> thank you.
> Dan.

 (Please reply only to newsgroups)
 SQL FAQ (420 entries) see
 forumsb.compuserve.com/vlforums/UK/default.asp?SRV=MSDevApps (sqlfaq.zip - L7
- SQL Public)
 or www.ntfaq.com/sql.html
 or www.sql-server.co.uk
 or www.mssqlserver.com/faq

1. Tape Backup system locks when dumping database to tape

My tape backup system locks up when backing up a perticular database to
tape.  The SQL error logs the following error:
"dpdb_read complete: operating system error 1 (incorrect function)
encountered"

I have no problems accessing the database.
Other databases backup to the same tape device just fine.
The database is 160MB, tape device is 2GB
Ran DBCC commands until the cows come home.
SQL Server 6.5 service pack 2.

Anyone have any clues on what's going on.

Thanks Tony

2. Stored Procedure to find duplicates

3. tape backup waits indefinitely when no tape is in the drive

4. Parameter mismatch?

5. Scheduled Tape backups in v6.5 and HPT4000s tape drive

6. connectstring to sql2000?

7. Tape Backup works but Tape not visible

8. bigint - Arithmetic overflow

9. SQL 7.0 tape backup - multiple tapes

10. Sql Backup using TZ-88 Tape backup

11. Tape Backup Error Message

12. Recovering Databse from Tape Backup...

13. sql tape backup error