How to set FIPS_FLAGGER option in Access 97/SQL Server 7.0 with ODBC

How to set FIPS_FLAGGER option in Access 97/SQL Server 7.0 with ODBC

Post by jwit » Fri, 08 Dec 2000 04:00:00

I am working on a SQL Server 7.0 database where the code compatibility flag
is still set to 6.5.  I'm trying to find all the SQL statements that aren't
compliant with the ANSI SQL 92 standards implemented in 7.0.  In a different
forum, I found a recommendation on using the FIPS_FLAGGER option. If set, it
would write warning messages about the non-compliant SQL statements to a
log, when the statements are parsed.

Since this flag is a parse-time flag, I haven't figured out where to set it.
I asked a colleague and she said:

The Set FIPS statement needs to be executed within the connection that is
executing the code. Since it is not a server level setting, it is only good
for the duration on the session that is executed in.

I assumed she meant the ODBC connection between the Access 97 front end, and
the SQL Server 7.0 back end. I looked at the documentation on the ODBC
connection string, and it doesn't seem to allow anything other than
specifying the server, database, userid, password, and such.

So, do I need to enter the FIPS_FLAGGER statement in every stored procedure
in the SQL Server back end, plus every SQL statement(s) that is coded in the
Access front end and then passed to the SQL Server back end?

I appreciate any guidance I receive.

Thanks Jo

How to set FIPS_FLAGGER option in Access 97/SQL Server 7.0 with ODBC

Post by Brian Mora » Fri, 08 Dec 2000 04:00:00

Everything you wrote sounds about right. In other words... there is no easy
way to do what you want and and there is no global server side way to do
this.

--
Brian Moran

Quote:> I am working on a SQL Server 7.0 database where the code compatibility
flag
> is still set to 6.5.  I'm trying to find all the SQL statements that
aren't
> compliant with the ANSI SQL 92 standards implemented in 7.0.  In a
different
> forum, I found a recommendation on using the FIPS_FLAGGER option. If set,
it
> would write warning messages about the non-compliant SQL statements to a
> log, when the statements are parsed.

> Since this flag is a parse-time flag, I haven't figured out where to set
it.
> I asked a colleague and she said:

> The Set FIPS statement needs to be executed within the connection that is
> executing the code. Since it is not a server level setting, it is only
good
> for the duration on the session that is executed in.

> I assumed she meant the ODBC connection between the Access 97 front end,
and
> the SQL Server 7.0 back end. I looked at the documentation on the ODBC
> connection string, and it doesn't seem to allow anything other than
> specifying the server, database, userid, password, and such.

> So, do I need to enter the FIPS_FLAGGER statement in every stored
procedure
> in the SQL Server back end, plus every SQL statement(s) that is coded in
the
> Access front end and then passed to the SQL Server back end?

> I appreciate any guidance I receive.

> Thanks Jo

How to set FIPS_FLAGGER option in Access 97/SQL Server 7.0 with ODBC

Post by Mike » Sun, 10 Dec 2000 00:44:06

Arrggg. What a mess is MS Access.  I just dug around in the help and the VBA
help to see what they have.  You can get a reference to the current access
project (set dbs = application.currentproject) but there are so many
properties and collections that are poorly documented that I can't easily
dig into if you can change the session settings for the connection to SQL
Server.

I would guess this is a very common need so why not search the Web for some
Access FAQ sites or even ask the question in a Access newsgroup here on
microsoft.public?

good luck.

Quote:> So, do I need to enter the FIPS_FLAGGER statement in every stored