Newbie Looking for Info...

Post by Sam » Sat, 14 Dec 2002 23:40:07

Hey all...

Looking for some good resources on picking up SQL server (Web-based or
otherwise).  Any help would be great.

Thanks...

Newbie Looking for Info...

Post by BP Margoli » Sun, 15 Dec 2002 00:35:44

Sam,

If you want a book, try: "Sams Teach Yourself Microsoft SQL Server 2000 in
21 Days" by Richard Waymire and Rick Sawtell.

If you don't already have SQL Server 2000, you can download a free 120-day
evaluation copy of it from:
http://www.microsoft.com/sql/evaluation/trial/default.asp

The software comes with the complete documentation (SQL Server 2000 Books
Online).

BTW, I'm not sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if the book contains, on a
CD, the same SQL Server 2000 evaluation software.

BP Margolin
Please reply only to the newsgroups.

Quote:> Hey all...

> Looking for some good resources on picking up SQL server (Web-based or
> otherwise).  Any help would be great.

> Thanks...

Newbie Looking for Info...

Post by Sam » Sun, 15 Dec 2002 00:48:44

I have a SMS 2000 server setup as our main system in the office (20-25
users).... Should I just setup SQL Server on this box or should I setup a
seperate machine for it?

It is a powerful machine with over 725 RAM in it, so machine power isn't an
issue.

Thanks...

> Sam,

> If you want a book, try: "Sams Teach Yourself Microsoft SQL Server 2000 in
> 21 Days" by Richard Waymire and Rick Sawtell.

> If you don't already have SQL Server 2000, you can download a free 120-day
> evaluation copy of it from:
> http://www.microsoft.com/sql/evaluation/trial/default.asp

> The software comes with the complete documentation (SQL Server 2000 Books
> Online).

> BTW, I'm not sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if the book contains, on a
> CD, the same SQL Server 2000 evaluation software.

> BP Margolin
> Please reply only to the newsgroups.
> When posting, inclusion of SQL (CREATE TABLE ..., INSERT ..., etc.) which
> can be cut and pasted into Query Analyzer is appreciated.

> > Hey all...

> > Looking for some good resources on picking up SQL server (Web-based or
> > otherwise).  Any help would be great.

> > Thanks...

Newbie Looking for Info...

Post by Sam » Sun, 15 Dec 2002 00:52:04

That should read SBS 2000 (Small Business Server)

> I have a SMS 2000 server setup as our main system in the office (20-25
> users).... Should I just setup SQL Server on this box or should I setup a
> seperate machine for it?

> It is a powerful machine with over 725 RAM in it, so machine power isn't
an
> issue.

> Thanks...

> > Sam,

> > If you want a book, try: "Sams Teach Yourself Microsoft SQL Server 2000
in
> > 21 Days" by Richard Waymire and Rick Sawtell.

> > If you don't already have SQL Server 2000, you can download a free
120-day
> > evaluation copy of it from:
> > http://www.microsoft.com/sql/evaluation/trial/default.asp

> > The software comes with the complete documentation (SQL Server 2000
Books
> > Online).

> > BTW, I'm not sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if the book contains, on
> > CD, the same SQL Server 2000 evaluation software.

> > BP Margolin
> > Please reply only to the newsgroups.
> > When posting, inclusion of SQL (CREATE TABLE ..., INSERT ..., etc.)
which
> > can be cut and pasted into Query Analyzer is appreciated.

> > > Hey all...

> > > Looking for some good resources on picking up SQL server (Web-based or
> > > otherwise).  Any help would be great.

> > > Thanks...

Newbie Looking for Info...

Post by BP Margoli » Sun, 15 Dec 2002 01:11:14

Sam,

The usual recommendation for a production level install of SQL Server is to
put it on its own box. 725 RAM ain't a lot if you expect to be dealing with
large databases. If, however, you are dealing with small databases, it might
be sufficient ... but bottom line, do you really want to accept the advice
on how to set up your servers from someone on the newsgroups who is not able
to do a full analysis of your environment and needs ... I should wouldn't
:-)

Putting SQL Server on a separate box is a "safe" recommendation. Not a lot
can go wrong pursuing that path   :-)

BP Margolin
Please reply only to the newsgroups.

> I have a SMS 2000 server setup as our main system in the office (20-25
> users).... Should I just setup SQL Server on this box or should I setup a
> seperate machine for it?

> It is a powerful machine with over 725 RAM in it, so machine power isn't
an
> issue.

> Thanks...

> > Sam,

> > If you want a book, try: "Sams Teach Yourself Microsoft SQL Server 2000
in
> > 21 Days" by Richard Waymire and Rick Sawtell.

> > If you don't already have SQL Server 2000, you can download a free
120-day
> > evaluation copy of it from:
> > http://www.microsoft.com/sql/evaluation/trial/default.asp

> > The software comes with the complete documentation (SQL Server 2000
Books
> > Online).

> > BTW, I'm not sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if the book contains, on
> > CD, the same SQL Server 2000 evaluation software.

> > BP Margolin
> > Please reply only to the newsgroups.
> > When posting, inclusion of SQL (CREATE TABLE ..., INSERT ..., etc.)
which
> > can be cut and pasted into Query Analyzer is appreciated.

> > > Hey all...

> > > Looking for some good resources on picking up SQL server (Web-based or
> > > otherwise).  Any help would be great.

> > > Thanks...

Newbie Looking for Info...

Post by Erland Sommarsko » Sun, 15 Dec 2002 08:13:03

> I have a SMS 2000 server setup as our main system in the office (20-25
> users).... Should I just setup SQL Server on this box or should I setup a
> seperate machine for it?

> It is a powerful machine with over 725 RAM in it, so machine power isn't
> an issue.

As BP said, if you are looking for a production machine, put SQL Server
on its own box.

However, it appears that you are at this stage only getting SQL Server
to learn. In this case, you can put SQL Server on your laptop or home
computer or whatever you like. And I would be inclined to say that this
is probably better than putting it on your main server in the office,
as every once in a while, you might happen to execute a vile query. If
only your machine is affected that is not much of an issue, but your
office mates may not like if you send the main server to lunch.

--

I support PASS - the definitive global community for SQL Server
professionals - http://www.sqlpass.org