Can't view SQL Server 2000 tables in VB6 Data Environment

Can't view SQL Server 2000 tables in VB6 Data Environment

Post by MiniM » Sat, 14 Jul 2001 11:30:24

Hello,

I hope that someone may shed some light on why I am having difficulties.

Under Visual Basic 6 Enterprise, I opened Visual Basic project and created a
standard EXE project.  I added a Data Environment.  I chose "Microsoft OLE
DB Provider for SQL Server" as my provider.  I selected the Northwind
database.  I verified the connection via "Test Connection".

I used Data View to verify that the database was there and it was.  The
tables folder was there, however, there were tables to expand.  I tried the
same thing with another SQL Database and had the same results.

I repeated the above steps, except this time I chose "Microsoft Jet 4.0 OLE
DB Provider" instead for an Access database.  I was able to view the tables.

I could also view the SQL Server 2000 tables via SQL Server Enterprise
Manager, so I know that the SQL Server database and tables exist.

My question is why can't I see the SQL Server 2000 tables using "Microsoft
OLE DB Provider for SQL Server" as my provider?  And what can I do to make
it work?

Could this be a configuration problem?  I was able to view the SQL Server
2000 databases and tables with the "Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL
 Server" working on another system that was running under Windows NT 4.0 SP
6 but DID NOT have Commerce Server 2000 installed.

This is the configuration for my "problem" machine:

Windows 2000 Server SP 1
     IIS 5.0
Windows 2000 Hot fixes
Visual InterDev 6 Enterprise SP 5
    Visual Basic 6
         Add-In Manager
              Component Services Add-In for VB 5.0/6.0
              VB 6 Data Object Wizard
              Visual Component Manager 6.0