Audit Trail in SQL Server 2000

Post by K G Saravana » Thu, 14 Jun 2001 17:45:02

Hi,

I have to perform Audit Trail for my database (it is in SQL Server 2000). I was
planning to use triggers but considering the over head, I'm looking out for
alternate solution. SQL server in itself has Audit Trail facility. I want the
details on this. I basically want to capture all the transactions happening the
Database.
Moreover, I'm unable find a comprehensive write up on this. Are there any
specific site available where I can get these details ?

Thanks in Advance.

Regards,
Saravanan.

Audit Trail in SQL Server 2000

Post by Amos » Fri, 15 Jun 2001 00:15:42

Saravanan Hi,
SQL Server provides a tool called profiler were you can configure your auditing preferences.  You can redirect your logged audited events to a table so you can perform queries on it.
If you want, you can do the same by using the xp_trace... stored procedures.
Look in the BOL for the events you can capture in the xp_trace_eventclassrequired description.

HTH,
Amos

Audit Trail in SQL Server 2000

Post by Carl » Sat, 16 Jun 2001 13:32:58

Saravanan is asking about something completely different.  You are talking about setting up a trace (profiler) for performance monitoring...He would like to provide audit tracing in a schema.  This is a very common function that is required in many database designs where the changes to table data are audited (logged) to a separate table.

We do this with triggers and stored procs.  I haven't tried out the new auditing capabilities of SQL2000.  We may soon though, as we have a new production box to set up with SQL2000 Enterprise.

--
Carl T. Demelo
Senior DBA

  Saravanan Hi,
  SQL Server provides a tool called profiler were you can configure your auditing preferences.  You can redirect your logged audited events to a table so you can perform queries on it.
  If you want, you can do the same by using the xp_trace... stored procedures.
  Look in the BOL for the events you can capture in the xp_trace_eventclassrequired description.

  HTH,
  Amos

1. Audit Trail for SQL Server 2000

I am interested in finding more information about the SQL Server 2000 Audit
Trail features.  I searched the Microsoft web site, MSDN, the online
concierge, the support webcast transcript, the SQL Server newsgroups, and
Microsoft Sales, but no one could provide any information.

From the transcript at
http://support.microsoft.com/servicedesks/webcasts/wc082900/WCT082900...,
this was stated:

Reinaldo: SQL Server 7.0 does not have an audit trail, but SQL Server 2000
does and you can turn on C2 security. C2 security is available on SQL Server
2000, but not on SQL Server 7.0. You cannot turn on audit trail on SQL
Server 7.0.

Does anyone know more detail about this feature or type of auditing?

Thank you,
Tom

2. colums in reportsmith

3. Audit-trails, audit-server

4. Data Form Wizard

5. Audit Trails in SQL Server?

6. Oracle Financials DBA Info

7. Can i create an audit trail on an external database using SQL Server

8. Failed to connect to Oracle

9. can i create an audit trail for an external database using SQL Server

10. Using SQL Server 7 to create an audit trail for external database

11. SQL Server Audit Trail Capability (FDA 21CFRP11)

12. Audit trail insert, update delete in SQL Server 7.0