problems with installation of SQL Workstation 6.0 on NT Workstation 4.0

problems with installation of SQL Workstation 6.0 on NT Workstation 4.0

Post by Jun Gu » Fri, 07 Feb 1997 04:00:00

I'm trying to install SQL Workstation 6.0 on
my home pc which is running NT Workstation 4.0
(dual booting with Windows 95). The set-up goes
smoothly untill the message "Trying to start
SQL Server...", then an error message returns
saying that it can not connect to SQL Server, and I
have to exit set-up program. I can start the MSSQL
services from control manager manually, but since the
installation is not complete, none of the utility
program (SQLEM, etc.) works. The network protocol is
named pipe (default).

Any suggestion is appreciated.

Jun

problems with installation of SQL Workstation 6.0 on NT Workstation 4.0

Post by Richard Waymir » Fri, 07 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Again, the issue here is probably that you need to install the "MS Loopback
adapter" as a network adapter.  Then the install should work.  SQL Setup
insists that some kind of adapter is installed.
--
Richard Waymire, MCT, MCSE

Visit us on the web: http://www.ariscorp.com

Quote:> I'm trying to install SQL Workstation 6.0 on
> my home pc which is running NT Workstation 4.0
> (dual booting with Windows 95). The set-up goes
> smoothly untill the message "Trying to start
> SQL Server...", then an error message returns
> saying that it can not connect to SQL Server, and I
> have to exit set-up program. I can start the MSSQL
> services from control manager manually, but since the
> installation is not complete, none of the utility
> program (SQLEM, etc.) works. The network protocol is
> named pipe (default).

> Any suggestion is appreciated.

> Jun

1. SQL 6.5 Workstation Installation Problem on NT 4.0 Workstation

Software

NT Workstation 4.0     with no Service Pack applied.
SQL 6.5 Workstation   with no Service Pack applied.

MS loopback installed.
No network card.
Use dynamic IP via ras to ISP.

Problem

After installing SQL on the E: drive,
Enterprise Manager does not see the (local) server and
cannot connect to it.

Solution

I installed SQL on the C: drive instead of the E: drive.
It works just fine. How aggrevating!
Apparently, SQL Workstation  will only install properly
on the C: drive.
I will report bug to MS.

2. Databases for Macintosh

3. SQL Server installation on NT 4.0 Workstation

4. Replication in diferent domains

5. Cannot normally install SQL Server 6.5 (workstation vrsion)on WinNT 4.0 Workstation

6. Network Appliance filers SQL

7. question on oracle 8.1.6 installation on NT 4.0 workstation

8. About stored procedure

9. Heuristics for SQL Server 6.0 on NT/Server versus NT/Workstation

10. Problem Installing SQL Server 6.5 on NT 4.0 Workstation SP3

11. Does SQL Workstation run on NT Workstation?

12. Problems with connecting to ASA 6.0 on Novell Server from NT workstation

13. P&D installation problem on NT Workstation: MSADO25.TBL could not registered