SQL 6.5 Alpha to 7.0 Intel?

Post by Ben Rhode » Fri, 26 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Does anyone know if you can use the Upgrade Wizard in SQL 7 to migrate a SQL
6.5 Alpha-platform database to a SQL 7.0 Intel-platform database?

Thanks,
Ben

SQL 6.5 Alpha to 7.0 Intel?

Post by Kalen Delane » Fri, 26 Mar 1999 04:00:00

You should be able to.

--
Kalen Delaney
MCSE, SQL Server MCT, MVP

>Does anyone know if you can use the Upgrade Wizard in SQL 7 to migrate a
SQL
>6.5 Alpha-platform database to a SQL 7.0 Intel-platform database?

>Thanks,
>Ben

SQL 6.5 Alpha to 7.0 Intel?

Post by Gert Draper » Fri, 26 Mar 1999 04:00:00

No you can not. In 6.x the database format is different per CPU platform.
You either need to upgrade to 7.0 on Alpha or convert 6.x Alpha to Intel
using the Transfer Manager and then upgrade. The Upgrade Wizard specifies NO
CROSS PLATFORM upgrades.

-GertD

SQL 6.5 Alpha to 7.0 Intel?

Post by Kalen Delane » Fri, 26 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Oops. After reading Gert's response I realized I was thinking of backup and
restore. In version 7, you can now restore a backup from an Alpha onto an
Intel, and visa versa.

Sorry for the confusion.
--
Kalen Delaney
MCSE, SQL Server MCT, MVP
(Please do not send email.
  Post all followups to the newsgroups.)

>You should be able to.

>--
>Kalen Delaney
>MCSE, SQL Server MCT, MVP
>(Please do not send email.
>  Post all followups to the newsgroups.)

>>Does anyone know if you can use the Upgrade Wizard in SQL 7 to migrate a
>SQL
>>6.5 Alpha-platform database to a SQL 7.0 Intel-platform database?

>>Thanks,
>>Ben

1. Conversion of Alpha SQL 6.5 to Intel SQL 7.0

Hi,

I have a client who needs to convert a SQL 6.5 database from an Alpha
box to an Intel box and upgrade to SQL 7. I figured the best way would
be to do it in a two step process: 1. Convert from Alpha SQL 6.5 to
Intel SQL 6.5, and then, 2. Convert from SQL 6.5 to SQL 7.

The problem is getting the data off the Alpha box. The client says
they have tried numerous things but get errors - they don't have a
record of exactly what. I would think the Database/Object Transfer in
SQL 6.5 should work, even if it's slow and loses the logins. But would
the DTS in SQL 7 be better (I assume we'd have to upgrade to SQL 7 on
the Alpha first)? Any other suggestions?

Thank you,
Sheila C. O'Connell

2. OAS 4.X

3. Mgration from sql 6.5 alpha to sql 7.0 intel

4. Searching large sample database for db2 testing

5. Upgrading from Alpha 6.5 to Intel 7.0

6. Join a table MSDE with Access Error

7. Remote login from SQL Server 4.21a (Alpha) to SQL Server 6.5 (Intel)

8. SYBASE/ENTERPRISE!!!

9. Migrating from SQL 6.5 on Alpha to Intel

10. Moving SQL 6.5 from Alpha to Intel

11. Restore Intel-based backup to Alpha-based SQL 6.5

12. Transfer Databases from Alpha to Intel SQL 6.5 SP4

13. Copy SQL6.5 database on Alpha to 6.5 on Intel