unstable performance

Post by Christian R?uftli » Wed, 09 Jan 2002 06:31:16

I run a rather complex query (no writes) on a SQL Server 7 SP 3
database. The query itself seems to be ok. Sometimes it performs in
about 10 seconds, sometimes it takes about 900 seconds to complete. It
seems that the query executes fully in memory (10 secs) or excessive
disk activity takes place (but no swapping!). I can exclude blocking,
deadlocks, many concurrent users, not enough RAM, bad indizes as
possible performance problems.
Any sugestions what might help?

Christian

unstable performance

Post by Brian Mora » Wed, 09 Jan 2002 08:04:21

I would try to check the query plan between 'good' and 'bad' performance.
You need to know if a bad plan is being chosen or it's some other anomoly
that is causing this behaivior...

--

Brian Moran
SQL Server MVP

Quote:> I run a rather complex query (no writes) on a SQL Server 7 SP 3
> database. The query itself seems to be ok. Sometimes it performs in
> about 10 seconds, sometimes it takes about 900 seconds to complete. It
> seems that the query executes fully in memory (10 secs) or excessive
> disk activity takes place (but no swapping!). I can exclude blocking,
> deadlocks, many concurrent users, not enough RAM, bad indizes as
> possible performance problems.
> Any sugestions what might help?

> Christian

1. SQL2000->Access2000 Unstable Performance

I am using ODBC connection (with DSN) from Access2000 to
SQLServer2000.
I have experience Unstable Performance: I checked the same
query twice once it run in 3 sec and after a few houres at
25 sec'. when I refresh the attached tables (By code), the
performance returned to 3 sec.
I also experience once in a while an ODBC connection fail.
I try to use Name Pipes and TCP-IP but I have the same
problems.
Can any body help?

Thanks,
Nitzan

2. Can I T-ATT and T-DUMP to a unix file instead of a tape?

3. NT/SQL7.0 unstable..?

4. Urgent-Urgent Please help

5. ADO in ActiveX document

6. unstable SQL service

7. Unstable sql server - locking/blocking/1222 errors help pls

8. server /database unstable

9. SQL Server 7 unstable on Windows 98

10. Enterprise Manager unstable

11. Sql Server 2000 seems unstable