use ODBC or dblib calls

Post by wkts » Sat, 22 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Hi,

I am building an application on the Internet using SQLServer.  I wonder
whether there are any difference between using dblib calls and ODBC
calls in accessing the database, in term of efficiency, concurrency, and
any other concerns.  Thank you in advance for any advice.

Regards,

Wai.

use ODBC or dblib calls

Post by Bill Venci » Tue, 25 Mar 1997 04:00:00

MSFT has taken the position that ODBC is the standard method of connecting
to SQL Server.  In my own experience, I've found that the current ODBC are
as fast or faster than DBLIB and much easier to work with, especially if
you are working with VB, Access, Active Server Pages, etc.

Bill Vencil

Quote:> Hi,

> I am building an application on the Internet using SQLServer.  I wonder
> whether there are any difference between using dblib calls and ODBC
> calls in accessing the database, in term of efficiency, concurrency, and
> any other concerns.  Thank you in advance for any advice.

> Regards,

> Wai.

use ODBC or dblib calls

Post by Wai Ts » Wed, 26 Mar 1997 04:00:00

<HTML><BODY>
I really don't have much exposure with ODBC.&nbsp; My initiatives of using
dblib was come from some of the samples in SQLPTK.&nbsp; Except spending
two to three days to figure out a few tricks behind it, all works fine
after this.&nbsp; To my impression, dblib handles query dynamically without
having the necessity to explicitly specify 'Prepare', that sort of SQL
statements.&nbsp; I can imagine that there must be some overhead behind,
but it has its beauty where I do not have to recompile my program after
a database change. ?However, it sounds like ODBC?is the way to go to compromise
with standard, I shall keep in mind in the future development.
<BR>
<BR>Thanks,
<BR>
<BR>Wai.
<BR>

<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>MSFT has taken the position that ODBC is the standard
method of connecting
<BR>to SQL Server.&nbsp; In my own experience, I've found that the current
ODBC are
<BR>as fast or faster than DBLIB and much easier to work with, especially if
<BR>you are working with VB, Access, Active Server Pages, etc.
<BR>
<BR>Bill Vencil
<BR>

<BR><I>&gt; Hi,</I>
<BR><I>&gt;</I>
<BR><I>&gt; I am building an application on the Internet using SQLServer.&nbsp;
I wonder</I>
<BR><I>&gt; whether there are any difference between using dblib calls and
ODBC</I>
<BR><I>&gt; calls in accessing the database, in term of efficiency, concurrency,
and</I>
<BR><I>&gt; any other concerns.&nbsp; Thank you in advance for any advice.</I>
<BR><I>&gt;</I>
<BR><I>&gt; Regards,</I>
<BR><I>&gt;</I>
<BR><I>&gt; Wai.</I>