Merge replication error "rowguidcol"

Post by Sly » Sun, 09 Jun 2002 01:17:30

Hi,

I want to create a merge replication, but I have always
the same error :

Invalid column name 'rowguidcol'

I use SQL server 7.0
SQL adds the column with the wizard, I got the error. I
try to add this column manualy, I got the error.

What is the solution to resolve this error ?

Thanks,

Sly
.

Merge replication error "rowguidcol"

Post by Hilary Cotte » Sun, 09 Jun 2002 11:05:21

can  you post your schema for this problem table here?

Quote:> Hi,

> I want to create a merge replication, but I have always
> the same error :

> Invalid column name 'rowguidcol'

> I use SQL server 7.0
> SQL adds the column with the wizard, I got the error. I
> try to add this column manualy, I got the error.

> What is the solution to resolve this error ?

> Thanks,

> Sly
> .

Merge replication error "rowguidcol"

Post by Narayana Vyas Kondredd » Sun, 09 Jun 2002 22:08:16

Check the compatibility level of your database using sp_dbcmptlevel. It must
be 70. See Books Online for more info

--
HTH,
Vyas, MVP (SQL Server)

http://vyaskn.tripod.com/

Hi,

I want to create a merge replication, but I have always
the same error :

Invalid column name 'rowguidcol'

I use SQL server 7.0
SQL adds the column with the wizard, I got the error. I
try to add this column manualy, I got the error.

What is the solution to resolve this error ?

Thanks,

Sly
.

1. Merge replication "errors"

I've seen a lot of messages posted about getting various error messages from
the merge agents.  I've seen all of these, but have keep my mouth shut until
I could investigate them further.  Some of these are as follows: publication
xxx does not exist, number of retries exceed, excessive retries, could not
make a generation, time out, etc.  All of these are non fatal for merge
replication.  I don't have a definitive answer at this point simply because
when I get one of these, I'm usually getting several different ones all at
the same time.  All of these are symptoms of a merge system that is plain
and simply overwhelmed.  The retries and could not make a generation are
most likely due to blocking.  During the merge process a significant amount
of logging is done in the merge tables.  If you have several levels of
merge, you are possibly making changes to the same merge row in those
tables.  This will produce blocking and force a kick out where it attempts
to retry.  Could not make a generation is most likely due to the fact that
it could not modify the generation flag on a set of rows because they were
locked.  The rest have occurred as the system gets more and more
overwhelmed.  The merge agents get lost when you really pressure them and
will generally throw a publication xxx does not exist at which point they
quit processing transactions.

Fixing this is relatively straightforward.  Stop all of the merge agents at
each level in your architecture.  Then simply go to the lowest level and
start one agent back up.  Let it flush all of the transactions through until
it reaches an idle state.  Stop that agent and repeat the process with the
next agent.  When you have cycled through all agents at the lowest level,
move up to the next level and repeat the process.  Continue this process
until you reach the top level.  Once the agents at the top level have
flushed, start all of the top level agents.  Move down to the next level and
start all of those agents.  Continue until you reach the bottom level and
all merge agents are restarted.  Then simply monitor the system.  If you
happen to bottleneck it again, repeat the process until it is all back up
and running.  If you repeatedly do this, you do not have enough power behind
the servers and simply need to throw more hardware at the problem.  The
further up in the hierarchy that you go, the more powerful the server needs
to be.

--
Mike
http://www.swynk.com/friends/hotek

Please direct all replies to the newsgroup unless specifically stated
otherwise.

2. DATA ANALYST/MODDLER*****Houston, TX

3. Merge Replication "General Network Error"

4. video

5. Merge Replication "Q"

6. Hot Backup

7. Merge Replication "Feature"

8. URGENT: Merge Replication Failed Becasue of Error "Invalid column name 'rowguidcol'."!

10. Replication error "Unable to apply retries"

11. Snapshot replication gives "Invalid Descriptor Error"

12. Error when configure "Transactional Replication"