MSDE multi-user access limitations

Post by Neil Edelste » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 14:35:55

Does anybody know the limitations of multi-user access to
MSDE? Is there a technical limitation, or is there a rule
of thumb? At what point should you have to consider
upgrading to full blown Sqlserver?

MSDE multi-user access limitations

Post by Dan Guzma » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 14:43:41

From the SQL Server 2000 Books Online:

<Excerpt href="architec.chm::/8_ar_ts_8ynn.htm">
While functionality of the database engine in the SQL Server 2000
Desktop Engine is similar to the database engine in the SQL Server
Editions, the size of Desktop Engine databases cannot exceed 2 GB.

Both the SQL Server 2000 Personal Edition and SQL Server 2000 Desktop
Engine have a concurrent workload governor that limits the performance
of the database engine when more than 5 batches are executed
concurrently.
</Excerpt>

--
Hope this helps.

Dan Guzman
SQL Server MVP

-----------------------
SQL FAQ links (courtesy  Neil Pike):

http://www.ntfaq.com/Articles/Index.cfm?DepartmentID=800
http://www.sqlserverfaq.com
http://www.mssqlserver.com/faq
-----------------------

Quote:> Does anybody know the limitations of multi-user access to
> MSDE? Is there a technical limitation, or is there a rule
> of thumb? At what point should you have to consider
> upgrading to full blown Sqlserver?

1. Multi-user FoxPro vs. Multi-user RBase

I would like to hear about anyone's experience using either FoxPro or
RBase in a multi-user environment.  The project on which I am working will
involve an average load of three users and the database will have about 6
tables totaling approximately 20MB.

I am more concerned about data integrity than speed.  I would like to hear
about real experiences and do not want to start a flame war about which
package is superior.  I think each has its strengths and weaknesses.

So if you have had a good or bad experience using FoxPro or RBase in a
multi-user environment, please let me know.  Your response will be
greatly appreciated.

--Willy

2. MSDataShape and E_Fail

3. Multi-user with MSDE

4. Parametrized Queries and ASP

5. MSDE and Multi User

6. Use password

7. MS Access 7 Database on Network and VB5 Multi User Access Problem

8. 2: VB4 Database problem.

9. VB3, Access 1.1 multi user access

10. Problem's accessing multi-user Access'97 database from within MTS

11. Access ADO and Multi user access

12. Multi-user Access 2002 Project problems

13. Problems access Users collection when connected to MSDE