U/G sqlserver 7 under NT4 to sqlserver 2000 standard under windows2000 server

U/G sqlserver 7 under NT4 to sqlserver 2000 standard under windows2000 server

Post by Lisa » Fri, 05 Jan 2001 19:10:21

We are performing the above upgrade and are looking for the best way of
converting several databases of 4 - 10 gb.

We have had problems unloading these to a flat file and importing these as
the system seemed to be in a loop without accessing disk (several days) and
we have had to force stop and  reload the software.

The M/C are see each other round the network but the 2000 sqlserver does not
seem to be able to register the nt4/sqlserver 7.

U/G sqlserver 7 under NT4 to sqlserver 2000 standard under windows2000 server

Post by Alex Fern » Fri, 05 Jan 2001 20:01:36

What happens when you use DTS on 2000 to grab the data from 7?

Quote:> We are performing the above upgrade and are looking for the best way of
> converting several databases of 4 - 10 gb.

> We have had problems unloading these to a flat file and importing these as
> the system seemed to be in a loop without accessing disk (several days)
and
> we have had to force stop and  reload the software.

> The M/C are see each other round the network but the 2000 sqlserver does
not
> seem to be able to register the nt4/sqlserver 7.

U/G sqlserver 7 under NT4 to sqlserver 2000 standard under windows2000 server

Post by Lisa » Fri, 05 Jan 2001 22:44:07

Seems to be running OK now, there were just endless problems gettting  SVR
200 to see SVR7 and then registering the server on 2000.

Is running, will take a while, but fingers crossed
Thanks

> What happens when you use DTS on 2000 to grab the data from 7?

> > We are performing the above upgrade and are looking for the best way of
> > converting several databases of 4 - 10 gb.

> > We have had problems unloading these to a flat file and importing these
as
> > the system seemed to be in a loop without accessing disk (several days)
> and
> > we have had to force stop and  reload the software.

> > The M/C are see each other round the network but the 2000 sqlserver does
> not
> > seem to be able to register the nt4/sqlserver 7.

U/G sqlserver 7 under NT4 to sqlserver 2000 standard under windows2000 server

Post by Chris Woo » Sat, 06 Jan 2001 00:25:05

Lisa,

You should have been able to detach the databases from 7 copy them to 2000
and then attach them. Of course your id's would need to be cleaned up this
way.

Chris Wood
Alberta Department of Resource Development
CANADA