Source of Phantom Indexes with names like _WA_SYS% ?

Source of Phantom Indexes with names like _WA_SYS% ?

Post by Linda Bianch » Fri, 12 Nov 1999 04:00:00

I have numerous tables on a SQLServer 7.0 database exhibiting this feature.
If I use
Enterprise Manager (open database,open tables,All Tasks,Manage Indexes) or
generate SQL Scripts, these indexes do NOT appear. But if I execute
sp_helpindex or rebuild indexes, they are listed and they all have names
which start  with '_WA_SYS_'.
Has anyone else seen this or know where they came from?

History of this SQLServer:
I converted this SQLServer 6.5 database to 7.0 several weeks ago.
Initially I did a 7.0 upgrade on the server. However, because of some issues
with the security structure conversions ( aliases were used), we had to go
back to the 6.5 databases for awhile until we understood the security
issues.  We then transfered the 6.5 data to another 6.5 SQLServer, switched
the production server back to 7.0, and used DTS to restore the data.  We
have been running successfully in the 7.0...then I noticed
this.

Any ideas? TIA, Linda

Source of Phantom Indexes with names like _WA_SYS% ?

Post by Jackie Broph » Fri, 12 Nov 1999 04:00:00

These are really statistics. You must have auto create statistics checked in
the db options. You can read more about it in BOL.

Jackie

Quote:> I have numerous tables on a SQLServer 7.0 database exhibiting this
feature.
> If I use
> Enterprise Manager (open database,open tables,All Tasks,Manage Indexes) or
> generate SQL Scripts, these indexes do NOT appear. But if I execute
> sp_helpindex or rebuild indexes, they are listed and they all have names
> which start  with '_WA_SYS_'.
> Has anyone else seen this or know where they came from?

> History of this SQLServer:
> I converted this SQLServer 6.5 database to 7.0 several weeks ago.
> Initially I did a 7.0 upgrade on the server. However, because of some
issues
> with the security structure conversions ( aliases were used), we had to go
> back to the 6.5 databases for awhile until we understood the security
> issues.  We then transfered the 6.5 data to another 6.5 SQLServer,
switched
> the production server back to 7.0, and used DTS to restore the data.  We
> have been running successfully in the 7.0...then I noticed
> this.

> Any ideas? TIA, Linda

Source of Phantom Indexes with names like _WA_SYS% ?

Post by Jerry Spive » Fri, 12 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Linda - See the prior post from Tom on 11.9.99

JS

Quote:> I have numerous tables on a SQLServer 7.0 database exhibiting this
feature.
> If I use
> Enterprise Manager (open database,open tables,All Tasks,Manage Indexes) or
> generate SQL Scripts, these indexes do NOT appear. But if I execute
> sp_helpindex or rebuild indexes, they are listed and they all have names
> which start  with '_WA_SYS_'.
> Has anyone else seen this or know where they came from?

> History of this SQLServer:
> I converted this SQLServer 6.5 database to 7.0 several weeks ago.
> Initially I did a 7.0 upgrade on the server. However, because of some
issues
> with the security structure conversions ( aliases were used), we had to go
> back to the 6.5 databases for awhile until we understood the security
> issues.  We then transfered the 6.5 data to another 6.5 SQLServer,
switched
> the production server back to 7.0, and used DTS to restore the data.  We
> have been running successfully in the 7.0...then I noticed
> this.

> Any ideas? TIA, Linda

1. Wa_sys indexes still there after adding real indexes

I use SQL server 7. I've created some new indexes and see that the
Wa_sys indexes still exist even though I've created 'real' indexes on
the columns.  From what I've read,these Wa_sys indexes are really
statistics created by sql server to help with queries when a real
index isn't available. I know I can get rid of them by dropping
statistics, but have read to be wary of dropping them.  Is it ok (or
rather should I) drop the Wa_sys index if I've now got a real index on
the column?

2. DBase III + on a pentium

3. a lot of _WA_SYS indexes and 0 rows in mmc console

4. Adding Fields To CRecordset in .Net

5. Indexes beginning with _WA_Sys_

6. Backup on the remote tape drive.

7. Indexes '_Wa_Sys'

8. exabyte 170 ame TAPES

9. '_WA_Sys_' indexes in SQL 7.0

10. System _WA_Sys Indexes

11. _wa_sys...indexes

12. _WA_sys_ indexes?

13. system generated indexes (_WA_Sys_.....)