Create/Use a device in a network drive

Post by Nacho Reg » Tue, 19 May 1998 04:00:00

Hello, my question is if is it possible to create and use a device in a
network drive. (a drive in another computer without SQL-Server mapped as X:,
Y: or something like this - even \\computername\device).
Thanks in advance

Create/Use a device in a network drive

Post by Neil Pik » Tue, 19 May 1998 04:00:00

Nacho,

 In theory yes (from TSQL) but don't - it's not supported, and I can't
think of any good reason to do it.  (Except maybe for dump devices)

 Neil Pike MVP/MCSE
 Protech Computing Ltd

Create/Use a device in a network drive

Post by Roy Harv » Tue, 19 May 1998 04:00:00

Nacho,

Quote:>Hello, my question is if is it possible to create and use a device in a
>network drive. (a drive in another computer without SQL-Server mapped as X:,
>Y: or something like this - even \\computername\device).

Only for dump devices, never for data devices.  Database devices MUST
be on local, physical drives.

Roy

Create/Use a device in a network drive

Post by Morten Voigt Ingvordse » Fri, 29 May 1998 04:00:00

Can you explain how?

Med venlig hilsen / Best regards

Morten Voigt Ingvordsen

http://www.veryComputer.com/

Why stand on a silent platform
Fight the war
* the norm
- Rage against the machine

Create/Use a device in a network drive

Post by Roy Harv » Fri, 29 May 1998 04:00:00

Morten,

Quote:>Can you explain how?

To set up a dump device on a network drive there are only two special
things to do.  One is to use a UNC name rather than a mapped drive
letter:  \\servername\sharename\directory\file.dmp

The second thing is to make sure that the account under which the
MSSQLServer service runs has the appropriate rights on the target
server.

Other than that it is just like any other dump device.

Roy