Row Level Locking

Post by Mark Gallowa » Wed, 16 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Can someone educate me on the support that MS SQL Server has or doesn't
have for row-level locking?

Row Level Locking

Post by a.. » Thu, 17 Oct 1996 04:00:00

>Can someone educate me on the support that MS SQL Server has or doesn't
>have for row-level locking?

Microsoft SQL-Server 6.5 locks at the record or row-level on INSERTS
only.  Even then, by default it still locks INSERTS at the page level.
SELECTS, UPDATES, and DELETES are all locked at the page level (at the
lowest).  It should be mentioned that SQL-Server also escalates locks
to page, pages, table, and possibly even multiple tables level - they
call it "dynamic escalation" - everyone eles calls it more programming
and contention!

For a good example of what this means to a customer of Microsoft
SQL-Server please see what Communications Week (www.commweek.com)
reported in their September 16, 1996 issue - "Developers Search for
Answers at Microsoft SQL Server Conference".  They refer to this
row-level locking and what the developers and users have to say about
Microsoft SQL-Server - NOT HAPPY!

Row Level Locking

Post by <ASl.. » Thu, 17 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Pre SqlServer 6.5 - no row level locking , uses page level locking
      SqlServer 6.5 - support (insert only ) row level locking and is
implemented by DBA on a table by table basis.
      SQLServer 7.0 (no release date yet) is supposed to support full row
level locking.

Quote:> Can someone educate me on the support that MS SQL Server has or doesn't
> have for row-level locking?

Row Level Locking

Post by Les Gainou » Thu, 17 Oct 1996 04:00:00

To further clarify the statement that v6.5 will row lock only on
inserts, you must realize that if the table has a clustered index, there
is NO row locking!

good.luck = true
--

 Visit my web page at
      http://home.earthlink.net/~lesgainous

 Looking for a Client-Server job in California?
      http://home.earthlink.net/~lesgainous/jobs.html

Post by Barry F. Smith [Bazzoo(c) » Sat, 19 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> To further clarify the statement that v6.5 will row lock only on
> inserts, you must realize that if the table has a clustered index, there
> is NO row locking!

What's new for 6.5 states for IRL to work you need:

Note  If a clustered index exists on a table, it must be a unique clustered index to take
advantage of IRL. (Typically, a unique clustered index is created by default on the column or
columns that form the primary key when the primary key is defined.)

Row Level Locking

Post by Barry F. Smith [Bazzoo(c) » Sat, 19 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> To further clarify the statement that v6.5 will row lock only on
> inserts, you must realize that if the table has a clustered index, there
> is NO row locking!

What's new for 6.5 states for IRL to work you need:

Note  If a clustered index exists on a table, it must be a
unique clustered index to take advantage of IRL. (Typically, a
unique clustered index is created by default on the column or
columns that form the primary key when the primary key is
defined.)

Row Level Locking

Post by Barry F. Smith [Bazzoo(c) » Sat, 19 Oct 1996 04:00:00

> To further clarify the statement that v6.5 will row lock only on
> inserts, you must realize that if the table has a clustered index, there
> is NO row locking!

What's new for 6.5 states for IRL to work you need:

Note  If a clustered index exists on a table, it must be a unique clustered index to take
advantage of IRL. (Typically, a unique clustered index is created by default on the column or
columns that form the primary key when the primary key is defined.)

1. table-level lock or row-level lock

Hi,
    If I run an insert Sql statement to a table,which level lock that the
database will give to the statement,table-level or row-level?how about
update statement and delete statement.

Thanks
Jack

2. isql auf Windows95-Client

3. Page lock to simulate row level lock

4. mSQL impressing

5. row level locking and dead-lock prevention

6. Listbox and logical field

7. Paradox 5.0: Row level locking or page locking?

8. i am facing a problem with row level locking

9. Row level locking?

10. Row level lock in MS SQL Server 6.5 ?

11. Row-Level locking