Time outs

Post by Peter Hersche » Tue, 10 Nov 1998 04:00:00

I use sql 7 beta and leave the db open in my application.    If the
application is idle for awhile (hour or so), appears to loose the connection
to the server.

What do I configure -- the server or the appliation's connection?

I'm using DAO.
--
Pete...

Time outs

Post by Michel Santo » Sun, 22 Nov 1998 04:00:00

I'm getting the same thing without using DAO.  In fact, I'm using the Borland
Database Engine to the SQL Server Client to the SQL Server.  I had experienced a
similar problem with a VB app using ODBC.

I don't know whether it is something that can be changed, and I don't know
whether the SQL Server client disconnects or whether the SQL Server box does it.

I'm experimenting with finding out the exact amount of time, then maybe
re-opening the connection programmatically.  Kind of like a screen saver sitting
in the background. Furthermore, I don't know whether this has to do with an X
amount of time after the connection has been made, or whether it has to do with
X amount of time of inactivity.

I'd appreciate any info that anyone else might have on this.

--
Michel Santos
Manhattan Technologies

Time outs

Post by Peter Hersche » Thu, 26 Nov 1998 04:00:00

I've turned VC Enterprise SQL debugging and my problem appears to have gone
away.

Pete

1. Continual time-outs (time is not on my side)

I'm making small changes (eg changing a field size from 20 characters to 30
characters) in SQL server 7.
We have probably 10 clients connected. The table has around 5,000 records,
with no indexes on the field I'm trying to change. I've set all OBDC
timeouts to 0 (infinite).
Why does such a simple operation require me to get EVERYONE out of the
database? Obviously I also can't make any more serious changes without
booting everyone off.
I know it's M$ software and all, but surely it should work better than
this???

Dan

 ---
A quick script to eliminate ALL the bugs in Windows at once:

c:\> deltree c:\windows

2. WebDB & Perl or Perl code within PL/SQL or ...

3. MS SQL Server 2000 time-outs periodicly over the internet

4. ROWID Question

5. Time-outs that didn't happen under NT4sp6

6. a critical question

7. Time outs!

8. job is failing for a speicific user

9. query time outs! please help

10. Time-outs on only 2 of many stored procedures

11. Distribution Agent Time Outs

12. Performance trouble, time outs

13. Time Outs When running a query