Setting Working Set Size on SQL 7 under Windows 2000

Setting Working Set Size on SQL 7 under Windows 2000

Post by Chris Woo » Sat, 03 Mar 2001 01:17:04

Hi,

We are just going through the excercise of updating SQL 7 to SP3 and
upgrading the servers to Windows 2000 Advanced Server SP1 from NT 4 SP6A. We
had set the memory for SQL to fixed at 128Mb below the memory on the server
that also has IIS and Certificate server installed as well. We had set the
memory to fixed not dynamic. We expected Windows 2000 to need more memory
than NT and set SQL's memory down by 64Mb. As we were using fixed memory we
decided to check the Reserve Physical Memory for SQL Server. This gave us a
warning in SQL error log of 17122: initdata: Could not set working set size
to 518976KB. The server has 512Mb with 320Mb given to SQL Server. All the
info we had seen just indicates that checking this box was not recommended
if you set memory dynamically. Did we make a wrong move here, it is only a
development server, and what made it try and get the 518976 KB?

Thanks

Chris Wood
Alberta Department of Resource Development
CANADA

1. error 17122 : initdata: Warning: Could not set working set size to 519104 KB.

All,

I am receiving error 17122.  I am probably going to reconfigure the server
to dynamically allocate memory, but can somebody answer the following
question?  Why is SQL Server attempting to set the working set size to
519104KB, when the configuration is as follows (basically, fixed memory at
350MB)?

SQL Server 7.0 SP2
512MB

Set working set size = 1
Min Server Memory = 350MB
Max Server Memory = 350MB

I have searched everywhere, and I have check the SP3 fixlist, and have
failed to find an explanation.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Gerard

2. Listing all tables within a database and how many records are in them.

3. initdata: Warning: Could not set working set size to 1038848 KB.

4. insert/retrieving binary data with Sybperl

5. 17122 :initdata: Warning: Could not set working set size to 519104 KB.

6. Database date errors

7. Error 17122 : initdata: Warning: Could not set working set size to 1038848 KB.

8. C-API for SQL-Windows, connection SQL-Windows <-> mSQL

9. Eventlog Mesg 17122 : initdata: Warning: Could not set working set size to 519104 KB

10. SQL 7.0 - Working set size ERROR

11. BUG: SET FMTONLY not working on SQL Server 2000

12. SQL 2000 set dateformat doesn't work?!

13. SQL 7.0 Working set size error