Merge Replication across multiple offices not working

Merge Replication across multiple offices not working

Post by Craig Johnso » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 02:23:40

I have a situation in which I have 3 office locations
which do not share a common domain and are connected to
each other via TCP/IP through a DSL connection(no t-1 or t-
3).  The requirement is that they all in be sync and that
laptops for mobile users be able to be synced as well on
connection.

Using the client network utility, we set up an alias for
each office so we could connect successfully.  I was able
to get merge replication set up, or so it seemed, and
attempted a sync knowing ahead of time that there were
many differences in the database between each office.  The
sync came up dry with no data being merged and no errors
being reported.  I took the following steps:

1) Forced a validation with checksum and record count
2) Forced a new snapshot
3) Forced a new resync among the locations

This brought no results of data transfer among the
participating offices.  I have removed replication from
the boxes three times trying to get a different result
but to no avail reach the same result.  I need help and I
need it fast!!!!

Please e-mail me with questions or suggestions at

Regards,

Craig Johnson
Durham, NC

Merge Replication across multiple offices not working

Post by Mandar Naik[MSFT » Sat, 21 Jun 2003 13:10:57

Hi Craig,

In Replication, any modifications done after the replication has been setup
will be replicated. If the databases were out of sync to begin with, they
will not be synced up first, unless, you take one database as the publishing
database, create a snapshot out of it and all the other databases are
applied with this snapshot.

--
Regards,
Mandar Naik

> I have a situation in which I have 3 office locations
> which do not share a common domain and are connected to
> each other via TCP/IP through a DSL connection(no t-1 or t-
> 3).  The requirement is that they all in be sync and that
> laptops for mobile users be able to be synced as well on
> connection.

> Using the client network utility, we set up an alias for
> each office so we could connect successfully.  I was able
> to get merge replication set up, or so it seemed, and
> attempted a sync knowing ahead of time that there were
> many differences in the database between each office.  The
> sync came up dry with no data being merged and no errors
> being reported.  I took the following steps:

> 1) Forced a validation with checksum and record count
> 2) Forced a new snapshot
> 3) Forced a new resync among the locations

> This brought no results of data transfer among the
> participating offices.  I have removed replication from
> the boxes three times trying to get a different result
> but to no avail reach the same result.  I need help and I
> need it fast!!!!

> Please e-mail me with questions or suggestions at

> Regards,

> Craig Johnson
> Durham, NC

1. ??Merge replication doesn't work on servers across different domains

Hi,

Merge replication works on servers in the same domain but not servers
across different domains. The error message is "The process could not
connect to subscriber xxx". I can connected to subscribers from
publisher/distributor using enterprise manager. And these domains do
have the trust relationship.

Also, I have SQL server SP2 installed on all servers.

Thanks, Jack

2. Y2K and Corel BDE Integration

3. multiple subscriptions, only the last created works (merge replication)

4. Bad Token from SQL Server

5. Merge Replication Does not work

6. HPL Deluxe Mode

7. Distributing Merge Replication across more then one SQL Server

8. msde on Win98

9. Merge replication across firewalls

10. Merge replications across firewalls

11. Merge Replication across Domains

12. Merge replication with identity value ranges using not for replication option

13. newbie question - Multiple branches and home office bidirection replication