Creating database pointing to a different server

Creating database pointing to a different server

Post by venkates » Thu, 28 Jun 2001 00:00:15

Hi

Is it possible to create a database with the data and log
files on a different server ?
If yes, can I use UNC pathnames ? The following create
statement fails if I use UNC names:
USE master
        GO
        CREATE DATABASE dev_cna
        ON PRIMARY
        (NAME = dev_cna_data,
                FILENAME = '\\LTCGSQL8
\d$\data\dev_cna_data.mdf',
                SIZE = 50MB,
                MAXSIZE = 60MB,
                FILEGROWTH = 10)
        LOG ON
        (NAME = dev_cna_log,
                FILENAME = '\\LTCGSQL8
\e$\data\dev_cna_log.ldf',
                SIZE = 10MB,
                MAXSIZE = 1500MB,
                FILEGROWTH = 100)
        GO

Is this statement possible ?

Creating database pointing to a different server

Post by David Brown » Thu, 28 Jun 2001 00:37:10

It is possible to do this, although it is usually a very bad idea.

In some configurations it might run OK, but in your typical SMB over TCP/IP
over 100baseT network invironment the performance will be really poor.

See the following article for instructions
http://www.sqlteam.com/item.asp?ItemID=128

David

Quote:> Hi

> Is it possible to create a database with the data and log
> files on a different server ?
> If yes, can I use UNC pathnames ? The following create
> statement fails if I use UNC names:
> USE master
> GO
> CREATE DATABASE dev_cna
> ON PRIMARY
> (NAME = dev_cna_data,
> FILENAME = '\\LTCGSQL8
> \d$\data\dev_cna_data.mdf',
> SIZE = 50MB,
> MAXSIZE = 60MB,
> FILEGROWTH = 10)
> LOG ON
> (NAME = dev_cna_log,
> FILENAME = '\\LTCGSQL8
> \e$\data\dev_cna_log.ldf',
> SIZE = 10MB,
> MAXSIZE = 1500MB,
> FILEGROWTH = 100)
> GO

> Is this statement possible ?

Creating database pointing to a different server

Post by Tom Morea » Thu, 28 Jun 2001 00:36:59

No, you must create files on the local server.

--
   Tom

Thomas A. Moreau, BSc, PhD, MCSE, MCDBA, MCT
Columnist, SQL Server Professional

Toronto, ON Canada
www.pinnaclepublishing.com/sql
www.apress.com