server /database unstable

Post by Rema » Mon, 23 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Hi all,
Our NT 4 sp 5 server died late thursday evening and the sysadmins realized that
SCSI driver controller had to be replaced which was done immediately and the
server came backup.It was not stable during this time and the sysadmin applied
SP6 to resolve this.An integrity check on the server came out clean.The
sysadmin's take on this is that the database is unstable.....so I ran a checkdb
when the server finally cameup.....The master and one of the databases checked
out clean however other 4 database never finished the checkdb as usual.I ran the
sqldiag and it didnot show any errors nor did the error logs.Please advise on
what I can do before calling the MS support tomorrow.
TIA,
Rema

server /database unstable

Post by Neil Pik » Tue, 24 Oct 2000 04:00:00

 Rema - not a lot.  Reboot the server and kick off the checkdb's again - what
version of SQL Server are you running?  How long do the checkdb's normally take to
finish?

 > Our NT 4 sp 5 server died late thursday evening and the sysadmins realized that

Quote:> SCSI driver controller had to be replaced which was done immediately and the
> server came backup.It was not stable during this time and the sysadmin applied
> SP6 to resolve this.An integrity check on the server came out clean.The
> sysadmin's take on this is that the database is unstable.....so I ran a checkdb
> when the server finally cameup.....The master and one of the databases checked
> out clean however other 4 database never finished the checkdb as usual.I ran the
> sqldiag and it didnot show any errors nor did the error logs.Please advise on
> what I can do before calling the MS support tomorrow.
> TIA,
> Rema

 Reply here - no email
 SQL FAQ (484 entries) see
 (faqxxx.zip in lib 7)
 or www.sqlserverfaq.com
 or www.mssqlserver.com/faq

server /database unstable

Post by rema » Tue, 24 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Neil,
Thanks for your reply.I am running SQL server 7 SP 1.The Nt server is up and running with the MSsqlservice stopped but becomes unstable if I restart the sqlservice.I am rerunning my checkdb.
Thanks,
Rema

* Sent from Devdex.com http://www.devdex.com The Web Developers Index *
The world's largest index site for web developers.

server /database unstable

Post by Neil Pik » Tue, 24 Oct 2000 04:00:00

 Rema - any scsi errors appear in the NT event log?  It sounds like the hardware/disk subsystem is still flakey.  A chkdsk /f of all the disk volumes wouldn't hut.

 > Thanks for your reply.I am running SQL server 7 SP 1.The Nt server is up and running with the MSsqlservice stopped but becomes unstable if I restart the sqlservice.I am rerunning my
checkdb.

Quote:> Thanks,
> Rema

> * Sent from Devdex.com http://www.devdex.com The Web Developers Index *
> The world's largest index site for web developers.

 Reply here - no email
 SQL FAQ (484 entries) see
 (faqxxx.zip in lib 7)
 or www.sqlserverfaq.com
 or www.mssqlserver.com/faq

1. HELP: Design database for unstable schema

Hi,
        I've never posted to this group,  so pardon me if this has
been asked:

Does anyone know of any references for database design where the
schema cannot be fully anticipated beforehand and will evolve
often once something is defined.

Thanks,

Jason
"Everyone spoke of an information overload, but what there was in fact
 was a non-information overload."
        -- Richard Saul Wurman, What-If, Could-Be (Philadelphia, 1976)
                        --------------------------

                Phone: (312) 996-3002        Fax: (312) 413-7585
Electronic Visualization Laboratory, University of Illinois at Chicago,
            M/C 154, 851 S. Morgan, Rm 1120, Chicago, IL 60680

2. Dbase IV, V2.0 query question

3. Unstable sql server - locking/blocking/1222 errors help pls

4. Running an SQL File - help

5. SQL Server 7 unstable on Windows 98

6. sql-92 violations

7. Sql Server 2000 seems unstable

8. Master device showing wrong size in Enterp.man. after restore

9. SQL server 7.0 unstable.

10. FileMaker Server 5 unstable?

11. NT/SQL7.0 unstable..?

12. SQL2000->Access2000 Unstable Performance