Need statistics for planning

Post by Zork G. Hu » Sun, 20 Jan 2002 09:58:21

I am in the process of writing a business plan, seeking information that can
help me to estimate the cost of maintaining a large database. I would like
to see statistics on existing installations. There must be some statistics
available I just do not know where to find them.

The service I am trying to design would have a small public front end and a
large database supported part for registered users. User records will have
several dozen fields and each user could have hundreds of very simple
transaction records that I would need to keep indefinitely.

The questions I need answers for are:

  a.. What is the average cost of supporting an on-line user (or let's say
per 1000 users?)
        Can I find statistics that will break down the cost in view of the
whole business for:
systems
system administration,
programming and maintenance
office space
connection cost; etc.   -  depending on the size of the database?

        How many users can I (realistically) support on a single box?

  a.. How many concurrent connections can I expect IIS to handle on a single
box
        Is there some sort of tool that could help me to estimate my
system requirements as I design (sketch) the database?

        At what size should I have to consider moving onto a
cluster-server?

etc., etc

I think you got the idea.

Any help/advice/pointer will be greatly appreciated

--
Zork G. Hun
MCSE

1. Missing statistics in plan

I have a 30 gig database that we added millions and millions of records to.
It ended up being 42 gig when done.  I then used DBCC DBREINDEX on each
table.  I then did an UPDATE STATISTICS <table> WITH FULLSCAN, ALL on all
tables.

But when I run queries and look at the plan, the plans have some tables in
red that say there is statistics missing for the table.

What am I missing here?

2. Is the row updated since or while I am looking at it?

3. query plan statistics

4. Sql server Connectivity with Oracle......

5. Computing statistics and query plans

6. Error 3426

7. RedBrick: statistics and query plan

8. Help!! VB4 - dBase programming

9. Update Statistics Plan for IDS 7.31

10. Need Statistic: How much time needs each SQL-Query

11. Statistics Statistics

12. Performance Issues with UPDATE STATISTICS WITH FULLSCAN on _WA_Sys auto statistics

13. How to read Statistics time and Statistics I/O