SQLserver 2000 SP2 breaks Network Address Translation on Windows 2000 Server or Advanced Server

SQLserver 2000 SP2 breaks Network Address Translation on Windows 2000 Server or Advanced Server

Post by Don Mille » Wed, 03 Apr 2002 02:48:05

Pardon my posting to multiple news groups, but I am
trying to get this message out to anyone who might benefit
from the information a priori.

A number of us have determined that if you are using Network
Address Translation under Windows 2000 server or advanced
server and you are running SQLserver 2000 on the same server,
the installation of SQLserver 2000 SP2 will cause NAT to fail.

The symptom seen is that CLIENT systems on the LAN that are
using the server for NAT are no longer able to browse certain
web sites correctly.  Failing web pages typically do not load all
of the graphics or applets associated with the page even though
the remainder of the page loads correctly.  Often you can force the
missing graphic to load by doing a right mouse click on it and selecting
"show picture."  Everything works correctly when browsing the web
from the server system itself.

Since there is no "uninstall" option for SQLserver 2000 SP2, the only
known resolution for this problem is to totally recreate the server system
from scratch.

Hopefully if you use NAT on Windows 2000 and you are also running
SQLserver 2000, you will see this note before you install SQL SP2.

Don Miller

SQLserver 2000 SP2 breaks Network Address Translation on Windows 2000 Server or Advanced Server

Post by Frank Bourie » Thu, 04 Apr 2002 19:23:52

I had the same Problem, i took me 3 installations to find out, that it was
the sp2.
Is there a patch from MS?

Frank

Quote:> Pardon my posting to multiple news groups, but I am
> trying to get this message out to anyone who might benefit
> from the information a priori.

> A number of us have determined that if you are using Network
> Address Translation under Windows 2000 server or advanced
> server and you are running SQLserver 2000 on the same server,
> the installation of SQLserver 2000 SP2 will cause NAT to fail.

> The symptom seen is that CLIENT systems on the LAN that are
> using the server for NAT are no longer able to browse certain
> web sites correctly.  Failing web pages typically do not load all
> of the graphics or applets associated with the page even though
> the remainder of the page loads correctly.  Often you can force the
> missing graphic to load by doing a right mouse click on it and selecting
> "show picture."  Everything works correctly when browsing the web
> from the server system itself.

> Since there is no "uninstall" option for SQLserver 2000 SP2, the only
> known resolution for this problem is to totally recreate the server system
> from scratch.

> Hopefully if you use NAT on Windows 2000 and you are also running
> SQLserver 2000, you will see this note before you install SQL SP2.

> Don Miller

SQLserver 2000 SP2 breaks Network Address Translation on Windows 2000 Server or Advanced Server

Post by Don Mille » Fri, 05 Apr 2002 03:05:05

Unfortunately there is no patch available - at least that I or others with
whom I've been in contact who also have the problem - have been
able to discover.  One person has actually paid the $245 to Microsoft
to log an official problem report, but so far they (MS) have not
resolved the problem.

Don Miller

> I had the same Problem, i took me 3 installations to find out, that it was
> the sp2.
> Is there a patch from MS?

> Frank

> > Pardon my posting to multiple news groups, but I am
> > trying to get this message out to anyone who might benefit
> > from the information a priori.

> > A number of us have determined that if you are using Network
> > Address Translation under Windows 2000 server or advanced
> > server and you are running SQLserver 2000 on the same server,
> > the installation of SQLserver 2000 SP2 will cause NAT to fail.

> > The symptom seen is that CLIENT systems on the LAN that are
> > using the server for NAT are no longer able to browse certain
> > web sites correctly.  Failing web pages typically do not load all
> > of the graphics or applets associated with the page even though
> > the remainder of the page loads correctly.  Often you can force the
> > missing graphic to load by doing a right mouse click on it and selecting
> > "show picture."  Everything works correctly when browsing the web
> > from the server system itself.

> > Since there is no "uninstall" option for SQLserver 2000 SP2, the only
> > known resolution for this problem is to totally recreate the server
system
> > from scratch.

> > Hopefully if you use NAT on Windows 2000 and you are also running
> > SQLserver 2000, you will see this note before you install SQL SP2.

> > Don Miller

SQLserver 2000 SP2 breaks Network Address Translation on Windows 2000 Server or Advanced Server

Post by Bill Gran » Fri, 05 Apr 2002 10:38:36

    See Q301337. It contains a fix. Looks like your problem.

> Unfortunately there is no patch available - at least that I or others with
> whom I've been in contact who also have the problem - have been
> able to discover.  One person has actually paid the $245 to Microsoft
> to log an official problem report, but so far they (MS) have not
> resolved the problem.

> Don Miller

> > I had the same Problem, i took me 3 installations to find out, that it
was
> > the sp2.
> > Is there a patch from MS?

> > Frank

> > > Pardon my posting to multiple news groups, but I am
> > > trying to get this message out to anyone who might benefit
> > > from the information a priori.

> > > A number of us have determined that if you are using Network
> > > Address Translation under Windows 2000 server or advanced
> > > server and you are running SQLserver 2000 on the same server,
> > > the installation of SQLserver 2000 SP2 will cause NAT to fail.

> > > The symptom seen is that CLIENT systems on the LAN that are
> > > using the server for NAT are no longer able to browse certain
> > > web sites correctly.  Failing web pages typically do not load all
> > > of the graphics or applets associated with the page even though
> > > the remainder of the page loads correctly.  Often you can force the
> > > missing graphic to load by doing a right mouse click on it and
selecting
> > > "show picture."  Everything works correctly when browsing the web
> > > from the server system itself.

> > > Since there is no "uninstall" option for SQLserver 2000 SP2, the only
> > > known resolution for this problem is to totally recreate the server
> system
> > > from scratch.

> > > Hopefully if you use NAT on Windows 2000 and you are also running
> > > SQLserver 2000, you will see this note before you install SQL SP2.

> > > Don Miller

SQLserver 2000 SP2 breaks Network Address Translation on Windows 2000 Server or Advanced Server

Post by Frank Bourie » Fri, 05 Apr 2002 16:14:50

Thx, i rfound this article, too.

But I am not sure that this solve my problem, because my installations faild
after
installing SP2 for SQL Server and i don't wan't to install W2000 a fourth
time.
MS said nothing about SQL Server in this Article. Maybe Don can give us an
ok, that this patch is working.

Frank

>     See Q301337. It contains a fix. Looks like your problem.

> > Unfortunately there is no patch available - at least that I or others
with
> > whom I've been in contact who also have the problem - have been
> > able to discover.  One person has actually paid the $245 to Microsoft
> > to log an official problem report, but so far they (MS) have not
> > resolved the problem.

> > Don Miller

> > > I had the same Problem, i took me 3 installations to find out, that it
> was
> > > the sp2.
> > > Is there a patch from MS?

> > > Frank

> selecting

> > system

SQLserver 2000 SP2 breaks Network Address Translation on Windows 2000 Server or Advanced Server

Post by Reinaldo Kibel ( » Sat, 06 Apr 2002 00:52:14

Don,

Thanks for your posting. From SQL side we do not have any know issues. I
also fail to understand how SQL SP2 would break NAT.

Let's first check the basics.
-       Start with a Windows 2000 server without SQL SP2 that works. Test the
behavior.
-       Reboot your Windows 2000 Server.
-       Stop all the non-default services (list of default services listed on
Q192710 link found bellow)
-       Close all applications, including anti-virus.
-       The ONLY thing to do after a clean start, is install SQL Server 2000 SP2
and then reboot the Windows 2000 server again.
Do you still experience that behavior?

Q192710 INF: Basic Guidelines for Installing SQL Server 6.5 or 7.0
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q192710

If this does not resolve the behavior, and you would like to pursue this
issue, please open a case with Microsoft Product Support Services (PSS).

Reinaldo Kibel
Microsoft? Corp. - SQL Server Support Engineer

You assume all risk for your use. ? 2002 Microsoft Corporation. All rights
reserved.

Additional support can be obtained at http://support.microsoft.com

Are you secure?  For information about the Strategic Technology Protection
Program and to order your FREE Security Tool Kit, please visit
http://www.microsoft.com/security.
--------------------

| I had the same Problem, i took me 3 installations to find out, that it was
| the sp2.
| Is there a patch from MS?
|
| Frank

| > Pardon my posting to multiple news groups, but I am
| > trying to get this message out to anyone who might benefit
| > from the information a priori.
| >
| > A number of us have determined that if you are using Network
| > Address Translation under Windows 2000 server or advanced
| > server and you are running SQLserver 2000 on the same server,
| > the installation of SQLserver 2000 SP2 will cause NAT to fail.
| >
| > The symptom seen is that CLIENT systems on the LAN that are
| > using the server for NAT are no longer able to browse certain
| > web sites correctly.  Failing web pages typically do not load all
| > of the graphics or applets associated with the page even though
| > the remainder of the page loads correctly.  Often you can force the
| > missing graphic to load by doing a right mouse click on it and selecting
| > "show picture."  Everything works correctly when browsing the web
| > from the server system itself.
| >
| > Since there is no "uninstall" option for SQLserver 2000 SP2, the only
| > known resolution for this problem is to totally recreate the server
system
| > from scratch.
| >
| > Hopefully if you use NAT on Windows 2000 and you are also running
| > SQLserver 2000, you will see this note before you install SQL SP2.
| >
| > Don Miller

SQLserver 2000 SP2 breaks Network Address Translation on Windows 2000 Server or Advanced Server

Post by Eric Dupui » Wed, 10 Apr 2002 13:55:54

Just for a little reinforcement, please note that I successfully
re-installed my server from scratch, installing SQL Server SP1 (NOT sp2)
with complete success.  My configuration is as follows:

Windows 2000 server Service pack 2
Domain controller
Active Directory
DHCP server
DNS server
SQL Server Service pack 1
RRAS with NAT
2 nics, one connecting to DSL, other connecting to internal network.

***********Many thanx to the whole group that helped each other to work out
this issue.***********

Eric Dupuis
Microsoft certified solution developer
Brainbench MVP for Visual Basic

Quote:> Pardon my posting to multiple news groups, but I am
> trying to get this message out to anyone who might benefit
> from the information a priori.

> A number of us have determined that if you are using Network
> Address Translation under Windows 2000 server or advanced
> server and you are running SQLserver 2000 on the same server,
> the installation of SQLserver 2000 SP2 will cause NAT to fail.

> The symptom seen is that CLIENT systems on the LAN that are
> using the server for NAT are no longer able to browse certain
> web sites correctly.  Failing web pages typically do not load all
> of the graphics or applets associated with the page even though
> the remainder of the page loads correctly.  Often you can force the
> missing graphic to load by doing a right mouse click on it and selecting
> "show picture."  Everything works correctly when browsing the web
> from the server system itself.

> Since there is no "uninstall" option for SQLserver 2000 SP2, the only
> known resolution for this problem is to totally recreate the server system
> from scratch.

> Hopefully if you use NAT on Windows 2000 and you are also running
> SQLserver 2000, you will see this note before you install SQL SP2.

> Don Miller

SQLserver 2000 SP2 breaks Network Address Translation on Windows 2000 Server or Advanced Server

Post by John » Fri, 12 Apr 2002 13:47:54

I have experenced the same issue. I flattened and reinstalled my SQL Ent
Ed(did not apply SP2)/NAT Server and all was well.

John

Quote:> Pardon my posting to multiple news groups, but I am
> trying to get this message out to anyone who might benefit
> from the information a priori.

> A number of us have determined that if you are using Network
> Address Translation under Windows 2000 server or advanced
> server and you are running SQLserver 2000 on the same server,
> the installation of SQLserver 2000 SP2 will cause NAT to fail.

> The symptom seen is that CLIENT systems on the LAN that are
> using the server for NAT are no longer able to browse certain
> web sites correctly.  Failing web pages typically do not load all
> of the graphics or applets associated with the page even though
> the remainder of the page loads correctly.  Often you can force the
> missing graphic to load by doing a right mouse click on it and selecting
> "show picture."  Everything works correctly when browsing the web
> from the server system itself.

> Since there is no "uninstall" option for SQLserver 2000 SP2, the only
> known resolution for this problem is to totally recreate the server system
> from scratch.

> Hopefully if you use NAT on Windows 2000 and you are also running
> SQLserver 2000, you will see this note before you install SQL SP2.

> Don Miller

SQLserver 2000 SP2 breaks Network Address Translation on Windows 2000 Server or Advanced Server

Post by Mario Estrell » Fri, 26 Apr 2002 08:51:24

Hey Microsoft ... Please Help ... We are dying out here because of this
problem ... I've encountered this same problem on two of my systems ... as
soon as SQL SP2 is installed, NAT starts dropping packets ... now I have to
do a complete reinstall on the second server because of this.

DO NOT INSTALL SQL SP2 ON A NAT SERVER ... avoid the pain of having to
completely reformat and reconfigure your server(s).

Microsoft ... please ... please ... please ... a hotfix ... please ...

Best regards,

Mario Estrella

> I have experenced the same issue. I flattened and reinstalled my SQL Ent
> Ed(did not apply SP2)/NAT Server and all was well.

> John

> > Pardon my posting to multiple news groups, but I am
> > trying to get this message out to anyone who might benefit
> > from the information a priori.

> > A number of us have determined that if you are using Network
> > Address Translation under Windows 2000 server or advanced
> > server and you are running SQLserver 2000 on the same server,
> > the installation of SQLserver 2000 SP2 will cause NAT to fail.

> > The symptom seen is that CLIENT systems on the LAN that are
> > using the server for NAT are no longer able to browse certain
> > web sites correctly.  Failing web pages typically do not load all
> > of the graphics or applets associated with the page even though
> > the remainder of the page loads correctly.  Often you can force the
> > missing graphic to load by doing a right mouse click on it and selecting
> > "show picture."  Everything works correctly when browsing the web
> > from the server system itself.

> > Since there is no "uninstall" option for SQLserver 2000 SP2, the only
> > known resolution for this problem is to totally recreate the server
system
> > from scratch.

> > Hopefully if you use NAT on Windows 2000 and you are also running
> > SQLserver 2000, you will see this note before you install SQL SP2.

> > Don Miller

SQLserver 2000 SP2 breaks Network Address Translation on Windows 2000 Server or Advanced Server

Post by User » Fri, 26 Apr 2002 14:37:51

If you want networking done right you shouldn't use the cheap stuff
use the good stuff like $100 linksys routers from you neighborhood CompUSA

> [...]

> > > The symptom seen is that CLIENT systems on the LAN that are
> > > using the server for NAT are no longer able to browse certain
> > > web sites correctly.  Failing web pages typically do not load all
> > > of the graphics or applets associated with the page even though
> > > the remainder of the page loads correctly.  Often you can force the
> > > missing graphic to load by doing a right mouse click on it and
selecting
> > > "show picture."  Everything works correctly when browsing the web
> > > from the server system itself.

> > > Since there is no "uninstall" option for SQLserver 2000 SP2, the only
> > > known resolution for this problem is to totally recreate the server
> system
> > > from scratch.

> > > Hopefully if you use NAT on Windows 2000 and you are also running
> > > SQLserver 2000, you will see this note before you install SQL SP2.

1. Migration to Windows 2000 Advanced server + SQL Server 2000

Hi.

I should plan migration of complete production system.
Currently, it looks like following:
Everything is on Windows NT 4.0 (database servers,
networking, clients), databases are on SQL Server 7.0,
client applications are written in VB 5.0, clients use
ODBC for connection to databases. I should migrate
everything to Windows 2000 and SQL Server 2000, so I would
appreciate very much if somebody send to me some links
which will help me to succesfully plan and perform this
task.

Best regards,

Armin

2. 17821-NJ-Morristown-ORACLE-Webserver-Windows NT-Oracle DBA Consultants

3. SQL 7.0 SP2 failed on Windows 2000 Advanced Server

4. Stand Alone SQL Server possible ???

5. sqlserver 2000 with sp 2 and analysis server on windows 2000 server

6. PAPIRO.....High quality reports via Internet

7. Installing SQLServer 7.0 on Windows 2000 Advanced Server Cluster

8. PARADOX, LAN, NT (WIN95):

9. SQL Server 2000 SP2 and Windows 2000 SP3

10. Installing SQL Server 7.0 on Windows 2000 Advanced Server

11. sql server 7.0 with windows 2000 advanced cluster server

12. SQL Server 7.0 Clustering and WNLB on Windows 2000 Advanced Server

13. Connecting to a Sql Server 2000 SP3 from a Sql Server 2000 SP2