tracing what happened to a row of data?

Post by Mega » Sun, 30 Mar 2003 04:25:25

HI!  I'm running SQL2000 and lost several rows of data
somewhere over the past 3 weeks. I can recreate the
entries, no problem... but I'd like to track what happened
to them, more specifically when and who deleted the data.
Any suggestions on where to start looking?

thanks!!!

tracing what happened to a row of data?

Post by Narayana Vyas Kondredd » Sun, 30 Mar 2003 04:22:57

If you have a transaction log backups that cover this time period, then you
can use a third party tool like Lumigent Log Explorer to investigate the
log.
--
HTH,
Vyas, MVP (SQL Server)

HI!  I'm running SQL2000 and lost several rows of data
somewhere over the past 3 weeks. I can recreate the
entries, no problem... but I'd like to track what happened
to them, more specifically when and who deleted the data.
Any suggestions on where to start looking?

thanks!!!

tracing what happened to a row of data?

Post by Mega » Sun, 30 Mar 2003 06:28:58

what if I do not have the the 3rd party tools? any other
ideas?  is the Lumigent software free ... is that the name
of the vendor?
thanks!

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>If you have a transaction log backups that cover this

time period, then you
>can use a third party tool like Lumigent Log Explorer to
investigate the
>log.
>--
>HTH,
>Vyas, MVP (SQL Server)
>http://vyaskn.tripod.com/
>What hardware is your SQL Server running on?
>http://vyaskn.tripod.com/poll.htm

>HI!  I'm running SQL2000 and lost several rows of data
>somewhere over the past 3 weeks. I can recreate the
>entries, no problem... but I'd like to track what happened
>to them, more specifically when and who deleted the data.
>Any suggestions on where to start looking?

>thanks!!!

>.

tracing what happened to a row of data?

Post by Narayana Vyas Kondredd » Sun, 30 Mar 2003 06:35:12

yeah... http://www.lumigent.com This software is not free.

There are some undocumented commands like DBCC LOG that will let you examine
the log, but it is difficult to interpret the output without the
documentation.

Some DBAs implement auditing (using triggers) on all crucial tables. When
something goes wrong, they check the audit tables to see what went wrong,
when and by who etc.
--
HTH,
Vyas, MVP (SQL Server)
http://vyaskn.tripod.com/
What hardware is your SQL Server running on?
http://vyaskn.tripod.com/poll.htm

what if I do not have the the 3rd party tools? any other
ideas?  is the Lumigent software free ... is that the name
of the vendor?
thanks!

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>If you have a transaction log backups that cover this

time period, then you
>can use a third party tool like Lumigent Log Explorer to
investigate the
>log.
>--
>HTH,
>Vyas, MVP (SQL Server)
>http://vyaskn.tripod.com/
>What hardware is your SQL Server running on?
>http://vyaskn.tripod.com/poll.htm

>HI!  I'm running SQL2000 and lost several rows of data
>somewhere over the past 3 weeks. I can recreate the
>entries, no problem... but I'd like to track what happened
>to them, more specifically when and who deleted the data.
>Any suggestions on where to start looking?

>thanks!!!

>.

1. query rows that happen in 20 minute time span

I have a 3rd party app that will collect information and
update a SQL database every 5 seconds(date and time is
captured). I need to run a query that will show a 20
minute average.

I know I can run a query such as

<timestart> and <timestop>

Is there a way that I can get 20 minute averages of a
field from a day's worth of data without having to run a
bunch of queries?

2. Testing Email-->comp.databases.ingres gateway

3. portal row not blank;why is this happening?

4. Raw devices with offset -- possible?

5. Trace: Count of rows read

6. GA-ATLANTA-101372--C-ORACLE-Pro*C-SQL-UNIX-VAX-ART-IM Programmer/Analyst

7. trace new added rows of a table

8. Difference between SQLDECIMAL & SQLNUMERIC

9. Need script for processing next row of data if error is encountered in row

10. Multipal rows of data out putted to one row,

11. same data in two rows-How to remove one row

12. Combing multiple row data into one row in another table

13. Put data on several rows into one row