[OBDC SQL Server Driver][Timeout Expired] - How to reconfigure the timeout

[OBDC SQL Server Driver][Timeout Expired] - How to reconfigure the timeout

Post by Dag » Mon, 13 Nov 2000 04:00:00

When running a query on a very large database, I receive this error after
30-50 seconds:
[Microsoft][OBDC SQL Server Driver][Timeout Expired]

We are using NT and 98. I receive this error message running the queries on
the client and the server. We just switched over from Access 97, which was
unable to handle the amount of data. Using Access 97 ODBC pass-through
queries, we recevied a similar error message, but it was a simple fix -
select properties and change the timeout.

This doesn't happen with queries that return only a small number of rows.
The queries I am receiving the error message on are attempting to return 7-8
million rows.

The default timeout setting is 10 minutes, and so far that is the only
setting I can find.

I appreciate any help on this matter!

[OBDC SQL Server Driver][Timeout Expired] - How to reconfigure the timeout

Post by Sahar Thamr » Tue, 14 Nov 2000 04:00:00

I believe that the timeout value is in seconds, not minutes.

You can force the timeout for the ODBC connection object or simply change
"remote conn timeout" and "remote query timeout" to 0 to get unlimited time.

Shahar Tamari
Toolsmith Consulting

Quote:> When running a query on a very large database, I receive this error after
> 30-50 seconds:
> [Microsoft][OBDC SQL Server Driver][Timeout Expired]

> We are using NT and 98. I receive this error message running the queries
on
> the client and the server. We just switched over from Access 97, which was
> unable to handle the amount of data. Using Access 97 ODBC pass-through
> queries, we recevied a similar error message, but it was a simple fix -
> select properties and change the timeout.

> This doesn't happen with queries that return only a small number of rows.
> The queries I am receiving the error message on are attempting to return
7-8
> million rows.

> The default timeout setting is 10 minutes, and so far that is the only
> setting I can find.

> I appreciate any help on this matter!

[OBDC SQL Server Driver][Timeout Expired] - How to reconfigure the timeout

Post by Dag » Tue, 14 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Thank you for the reply.

The timout is set in seconds ( 600 ) which comes out to 10 minutes.
Unfortunately, changing this to 0 for unlimited has no effect. The query
still times out after 30 seconds.

I have still to try chagning the remote query timout using sp_configure.
    A. Can this setting be changed in a query? If so, I tried
    sp_configure 'remote query timeout','0'
    before the query statement and received only an error message.

    B. If this is not changed within a query, where can the stting be
changed.
    C. Is there a setting that should be changed on both the server &
client?

Thank you -

Dag

> I believe that the timeout value is in seconds, not minutes.

> You can force the timeout for the ODBC connection object or simply change
> "remote conn timeout" and "remote query timeout" to 0 to get unlimited
time.

> Shahar Tamari
> Toolsmith Consulting

> > When running a query on a very large database, I receive this error
after
> > 30-50 seconds:
> > [Microsoft][OBDC SQL Server Driver][Timeout Expired]

> > We are using NT and 98. I receive this error message running the queries
> on
> > the client and the server. We just switched over from Access 97, which
was
> > unable to handle the amount of data. Using Access 97 ODBC pass-through
> > queries, we recevied a similar error message, but it was a simple fix -
> > select properties and change the timeout.

> > This doesn't happen with queries that return only a small number of
rows.
> > The queries I am receiving the error message on are attempting to return
> 7-8
> > million rows.

> > The default timeout setting is 10 minutes, and so far that is the only
> > setting I can find.

> > I appreciate any help on this matter!

1. odbc sql server driver timeout expired sql server 7.0

I am trying to run a big query and this mesage appears after about 20 seconds..any ideas?
I increased the value of the tiomeout to the max (30000)
it is a pretty big query:
UPDATE telemanagerserver.dbo.Customers
SET dncgov = 1
WHERE  CombPhone IN
        (SELECT number
      FROM dncgov.dbo.fulllist
)

customer has 140 thousand records
fulllist has 52 million records

indexes on combphone and on number
two different databases on the same server

I also tried
UPDATE telemanagerserver.dbo.Customers
SET dncgov = 1
WHERE  exists         (SELECT number
      FROM dncgov.dbo.fulllist Where CombPhone = Number)

and

Select Number into #temp
 from dncgov.dbo.fulllist
 Inner Join telemanagerserver.dbo.Customers
  on Number = Combphone

then

UPDATE telemanagerserver.dbo.Customers
SET dncgov = 1
WHERE  exists         (SELECT number
      FROM #temp Where CombPhone = Number)

they all timeout

any ideas?

2. Moving LONG RAWs between tables

3. [ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server][OLE/DB provider returned message: Timeout expired]

4. Schedule Processing of a cube, How?

5. SQL 2000 [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Timeout expired

6. access2000 -> sql-server connection fails

7. java.sql.SQLException: [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Timeout expired

8. Posting

9. ODBC SQL Server Driver: Timeout Expired (80040e31)

10. [ODBC SQL Server Driver]Timeout expired

11. ?[microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver] Timeout expired

12. [ODBC SQL Server Driver]Timeout expired