How to Call ACTIVEX.exe component that resides on another machine

How to Call ACTIVEX.exe component that resides on another machine

Post by Zac » Sun, 24 Mar 2002 04:31:46

Hi,

I've created an VB ActiveX component.  Now I want to call this program
from SQL server.  I am using "Object Automation". The problem is that
my VB program should reside on the separate machine from SQL Server.
Here is the example,
that I wrote and it works if VB program is on the same machine with
SQL server.
Can someone tell me what do I have to do to make it work with ACTIVEX
component and SQL server live on separate computers.

THank you.

-- Create an object.

OUT

BEGIN

   GOTO ERRH
END

-- Set a property

'Provider=SQLOLEDB.1;Persist Security Info=True;Initial
Catalog=readers_services_test;Data Source=winnie;Use Procedure for
Prepare=1;Auto Translate=True;Packet Size=4096;Workstation
ID=rad1lab3;Use Encryption for Data=False;Tag with column collation
when possible=False;User Id=webguest;PASSWORD=webguest;'

BEGIN

   GOTO ERRH
END

-- Call a method.

BEGIN

   GOTO ERRH
END

How to Call ACTIVEX.exe component that resides on another machine

Post by Greg Linwoo » Sun, 24 Mar 2002 07:01:56

Hi Zack..

To do this, you could use DCOM - this is the simplest way..

This means compiling with the remote activation setting on in the project
dialog compiler settings, then you have to register the .tlb generated by
the project on the SQL Server and configure it to point to whatever address
the actual server is installed on..

Otherwise, MTS or COM+ are valid alternatives (which just do similar things
in a more complicated way...)

HTH

Cheers,
Greg Linwood

> Hi,

> I've created an VB ActiveX component.  Now I want to call this program
> from SQL server.  I am using "Object Automation". The problem is that
> my VB program should reside on the separate machine from SQL Server.
> Here is the example,
> that I wrote and it works if VB program is on the same machine with
> SQL server.
> Can someone tell me what do I have to do to make it work with ACTIVEX
> component and SQL server live on separate computers.

> THank you.

> -- Create an object.

> OUT

> BEGIN

>    GOTO ERRH
> END

> -- Set a property

> 'Provider=SQLOLEDB.1;Persist Security Info=True;Initial
> Catalog=readers_services_test;Data Source=winnie;Use Procedure for
> Prepare=1;Auto Translate=True;Packet Size=4096;Workstation
> ID=rad1lab3;Use Encryption for Data=False;Tag with column collation
> when possible=False;User Id=webguest;PASSWORD=webguest;'

> BEGIN

>    GOTO ERRH
> END

> -- Call a method.

> BEGIN

>    GOTO ERRH
> END

1. ActiveX component causes error after compile when called from IIS

I have created a component that uses ADOX to create an access database and
define a set of linked tables. When the component runs within the VB6 debug
all the action is done by VB6.EXE and the component functions. When the
component
is compiled IIS runs the component as DLLHOST.EXE and the component fails
creating the link table.

ErrNum:-2147467259
ErrDesc:ODBC--connection to {SQL Server}<servername> failed.
ErrSrc:Microsoft JET Database Engine

I have checked every security setting I can find. If IUSR and IWAM are
members
of Administrators the component still fails. The JET Db engine is able to
create
the JET* temp files in the TMP directory when running the component. Used
filemon to confirm.
The default DCOM settings allow access to Everyone group.

What am I missing that causes this component not to be able to create the
linked table when run as DLLHOST.EXE?

Frustrated,
Rob

2. ADO Validating data

3. Calling ActiveX EXE problem

4. PICK PROGRAMMER - 5+ yrs exp - Perm in S Cal. - Recruiter

5. Using ActiveX Component from within ActiveX Task

6. SQL Server 2000

7. VB5/ActiveX error 429 w/no ActiveX components

8. Get rid of status bar

9. ActiveX DLL to ActiveX EXE

10. ActiveX Control in ActiveX EXE

11. Machine name of machine calling an SP

12. ActiveX Components in SQL?

13. FusionMail activex component 4 SQLServer