> I have problems with my SQL logins (like security manager finds orphans
> dropping users, orphans or groups does not help. I think it is a mess now
> and I am searching for a solution.) Now I get error 21770, but this error
> not in the books on line. I get the error when I dubble click a login in
> enterprise manager.
> Any ideas?
1. Error 21770 Adding Login in SEM and User with SP_ADDUSER
When I try to add a new user I'm getting error described below, but the
workaround didn't work for me.
New user can't login and can't be dropped. When trying to make any changes
to a new user I just created I'm getting the same errors(21770, 15175). I
have run DBCC CHECKDB ( 'database_name' ) on al DB's to no avail. I run MS
SQL 6.5 SP5 on WinNT3.51 SP5. I'll appreciate any suggestions.
BUG: Error 21770 Adding Login in SEM and User with SP_ADDUSER
The information in this article applies to:
Microsoft SQL Server version 6.5
After you grant database access through sp_adduser to a login that was
created using Enterprise Manager, the following error message (Error 21770)
occurs when you edit the login in Enterprise Manager:
The name <username> was not found in the Users collection.
If you delete the user from the database and then try to drop the login, the
following error message might appear (Error 15175):
<SQL Server> Login 'user' is aliased or mapped to a user in one or more
database(s). Drop user or alias before dropping login.
To work around this problem, do one of the following:
When you add the login in SQL Enterprise Manager, specify a default database
and a permit database.
In Enterprise Manager, expand
Servername/Databases/databasename/Groups/Users. Right-click Public and click
Microsoft has confirmed this to be a problem in SQL Server version 6.5.
Steps to Reproduce Behavior
1. In the SQL Enterprise Manager, define a new login (for example, user1).
2. Open a query window, chose pubs as the database, and run the following
sp_adduser user1, user1
SQL Server returns the following message: "New user added."
3. Go to Enterprise Manager, and refresh Logins.
4. Double-click user1 login.
RESULT: The following error message appears:
Error 21770: The name 'user1' was not found in the Users collection.
You might also experience this error when you try to edit permissions for
This error also occurs when adding a login through sp_addlogin.
2. CONTRACT PROGRESS/MFG*PRO DEVELOPER SOUGHT - EUROPE
3. Error: 21770, I can't set user's security permissions
5. Error 21770 Adding Login in SEM and User with SP_ADDUSER
6. Btrieve on Token-Ring networks
7. Error 21770 name not in database collection during XFERAGNT
8. getting "incompatible datatypes in expression/assignment error"
9. Error 21770 name not in database collection...
10. error: Cannot set user when user logs in
11. sp_adduser: Name not found in Users collection
12. 21776 - DBO not found in user collection
13. Name not found in users Collection