Anyone know how to change SQL Server's language/date format used?

Anyone know how to change SQL Server's language/date format used?

Post by Jason Glove » Wed, 17 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Help!

Hands up who finds SQL Server's help the most useless help in the whole
*y history of helps?

I have installed SQL Server 6.5 and created databases that are being used.
I specified English - New Zealand ( Because that's where I am ) when I
installed, but as one would not expect, SS hasdecided to use English -
United States as the date format. This makes things very difficult, because
the web server IIS4 is quite happy to use English - New Zealand format dates
and the SQL server has a major grump about the difference.

Just in case you didn't allready know in NZ we like our dates to go
d/mm/yyyy instead of the US mm/dd/yy.

So how do I change the way SQL server deals with dates?

Hysterically, by some fluke of nature I have only tested the server on dates
which are still sensical when interpreted as US ie.  12/12/98 etc.

A solution other than reinstalling would be very warmly accepted.

TIA
Jason Glover

Anyone know how to change SQL Server's language/date format used?

Post by Timo Feicker » Wed, 17 Feb 1999 04:00:00

have you checked "use international setting" in client-configuration
utility?

Anyone know how to change SQL Server's language/date format used?

Post by Neil Pik » Wed, 17 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Jason,

Quote:> So how do I change the way SQL server deals with dates?

 Q.     How can I add a language to SQL Server so that it knows about my
localised date format?
(v1.0   1999.02.03)

A.      This is easily done with sp_addlanguage.  For details and examples see
<sql>\install\instlang.sql which has code in for many languages and nearly all
European ones.

Once a new language is installed you just need to make that the default for the
SQL login(s) that will use it.

 (Please post ALL replies to the newsgroup only unless indicated otherwise)
 For SQL FAQ entries see www.ntfaq.com/sql.html
 and http://www.swynk.com/faq/sql/sqlserverfaq.asp
 and GO MSSQL lib 1 on Compuserve

Anyone know how to change SQL Server's language/date format used?

Post by XXXXXX » Wed, 24 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Also you could use

SET DATEFORMAT DMY
SOME SQL Statements....

which will guarantee SQL knows what date format to use...

1. Changing Default Language - date format

Hi All,

I am installing SQl Server 6.5 onto a machine for production use.  As I
am in Australia and need our (the correct!) date format ie dd/mmm/yyy, I
need to use the English - Australian language instead od US English.

On our development machine we changed the default language for each user
instead of for the server.  This time I would like to get it right from
the start and install the language so that new users do not require this
change.

Reading through the documentation for adding a language it says I need
the files server.loc and common.loc for the languauge I want (ie English
- Australian).  Does anyone know where I can find these?  I have looked
just about everywhere I know of and still cant locate them.

If you can help (or know im on the wrong track) please respond!

Thanks in advance
Jan Stephenson
Platinum Technology

2. Any way to convert Access 2.0 DB to Access 97?

3. SQL Server 6.0, Date / Time - Format / Language

4. No "Detach Database" in SQL 7?

5. SQL Server defualt language and date format

6. Link Access tables ??????

7. Anyone Know Format / Have Readers for Microsoft's Works .WDB Files

8. Cascade delete trigger - one more optimizer bug?

9. Anyone here know SQL the language? help please

10. SQL server name has been changed and don't know why

11. Anyone know of examples using Sleepycat's dbm

12. Changing SQL Server Date format

13. Change of default date format in SQL Server