Newbie Question - Shrink database

Post by Mark Andrew » Tue, 07 Nov 2000 04:00:00

I am brand new to SQL server and tried to shrink my database by clicking on
Shrink in the database properties page.

My database was 2.6 GB and after the shrink it is 5.2 GB

Why would it grow in size?

Thanks in advance,
Mark

Newbie Question - Shrink database

Post by Andrew J. Kell » Wed, 08 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Take a look in booksonline for DBCC SHRINKDATABASE or DBCC SHRINKFILE.

--
Andrew J. Kelly
Targitmail.com

Quote:> I am brand new to SQL server and tried to shrink my database by clicking
on
> Shrink in the database properties page.

> My database was 2.6 GB and after the shrink it is 5.2 GB

> Why would it grow in size?

> Thanks in advance,
> Mark

1. How To Shrink A Database (newbie)

After receiving a response to How Do I Shrink A Data Device, I now realize
that you cannot. I should, however, be able to shrink the database, back it
up, reallocate the data device, redefine the database to the smaller size, and
then reload from the backup.

The problem is:
        When I Edit the database the datasize is 800MB with only 65MB used.
        When I run dbcc shrinkdb(dbname) it show that the minimum size is
          878MB!! (data and log).

Does anyone know why it should be showing that as a minimum size??

Thanks.

2. Using the T-SQL debugger

3. Database file shrink if auto-shrink off

4. Tempdb from RAM to hard disk

5. Shrinking Database Only Shrinks the Log?

6. JBoss and MySql

7. shrinking databases - performance question

8. 'raise error' question

9. SHRINK Database Question

10. Shrink database question

11. Java Database newbie question - non-platform specific databases

12. How Do I Shrink The Size Of A Data Device (Newbie)