Remote Server -- Changing from Remote Server to Linked Server

Remote Server -- Changing from Remote Server to Linked Server

Post by Corey Magowa » Fri, 23 May 2003 06:44:28

I am trying to do queries from one server to another (both are running SQL
Server 2000 SP3) and get the error:

Server: Msg 18456, Level 14, State 1, Procedure xxxxxxxxx, Line 45
Login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITY\ANONYMOUS LOGON'.

The only way it will work is if I am connected as SA.  I have the servers
connecting as Remote Servers and realize that if they were set up as Linked
Servers then I could set up the permission between them.  My problem is that
I can not drop them as a Remote Server in order to recreate them as Linked
Servers because I have replication set up between the servers and don't want
to go through the hassle of dropping and recreating replication.

I also have distributed queries going as a scheduled task with the owner of
the scheduled task as SA.  These don't work with the same error in their log
files.

Is there some way to change the connection between the servers from Remote
Servers to Linked Servers without having to drop and recreate replication?

1. SQL 7.0 linked server changed to remote server

I think I am going crazy.  Every time I create a linked server in SQL
7.0 with only RCP IN and RCP OUT attributes it immediately becomes a
remote server.  Has anyone else experienced this?

Even with this behavior I am able to connect to my 6.5 server but not
consistently.  I am doing remote sp calls that have worked beautifully
between 6.5 machines.  I also need to establish a link between 7.9 and
a Sybase 11.03 machine.  I am having some problems there too.  If
anyone can give me some insight I would really appreciate it!

Thanks in advanced for your help,
Marianne Taylor

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. ADO problem with milliseconds

3. Remote Server and not Linked Server

4. D2: ComboBox with 40K+ rows - How To ?

5. Configuring Linked Server to Remote Index Server

6. DATA ACCESS

7. SQL 6.5 Remote Server to SQL 7 Linked Server

8. Help on B+ Tree Deletion!!!

9. Remote Servers vs Linked Servers

10. Linked Server vs Remote Server

11. Remote server vs Linked server