Can't View ErrorLog in EM

Can't View ErrorLog in EM

Post by Dee Rogheli » Sat, 04 Jan 2003 01:49:20



Running SQL Server 2000 SP2; in Enterprise Manager under
SQL Server Agent, the errorlog shows no items.  I can view
them if I locate the files in the filesystem but I should
be able to view them in Enterprise Manager.  Any ideas?

Thanks!

 
 
 

Can't View ErrorLog in EM

Post by Jasper Smit » Sat, 04 Jan 2003 05:56:47


Not to state the obvious but........
Did you change the filter from the default of Error
Normally when you choose Display Error Log you
wouldn't expect to see anything, however if you
change the drop down filter to All Types you should
see the log messages.

If still nothing shows up - are you a sysadmin - is it
just this server/your workstation ?

--
HTH

Jasper Smith (SQL Server MVP)

I support PASS - the definitive, global
community for SQL Server professionals -
http://www.sqlpass.org


Quote:> Running SQL Server 2000 SP2; in Enterprise Manager under
> SQL Server Agent, the errorlog shows no items.  I can view
> them if I locate the files in the filesystem but I should
> be able to view them in Enterprise Manager.  Any ideas?

> Thanks!


 
 
 

Can't View ErrorLog in EM

Post by Dee Rogheli » Sat, 04 Jan 2003 06:06:59


Jasper,

I am not exactly sure what you mean.  Where do you view
the filter?  

Dee

>-----Original Message-----
>Not to state the obvious but........
>Did you change the filter from the default of Error
>Normally when you choose Display Error Log you
>wouldn't expect to see anything, however if you
>change the drop down filter to All Types you should
>see the log messages.

>If still nothing shows up - are you a sysadmin - is it
>just this server/your workstation ?

>--
>HTH

>Jasper Smith (SQL Server MVP)

>I support PASS - the definitive, global
>community for SQL Server professionals -
>http://www.sqlpass.org


message

>> Running SQL Server 2000 SP2; in Enterprise Manager under
>> SQL Server Agent, the errorlog shows no items.  I can
view
>> them if I locate the files in the filesystem but I
should
>> be able to view them in Enterprise Manager.  Any ideas?

>> Thanks!

>.

 
 
 

Can't View ErrorLog in EM

Post by Jasper Smit » Sat, 04 Jan 2003 06:27:57


Once you right click on SQL Agent and choose
Display Error Log , the drop down listbox next
to the Apply Filter button is what you need to change.
Choose All Types from the listbox and you should
see the log contents.

--
HTH

Jasper Smith (SQL Server MVP)

I support PASS - the definitive, global
community for SQL Server professionals -
http://www.sqlpass.org


> Jasper,

> I am not exactly sure what you mean.  Where do you view
> the filter?

> Dee
> >-----Original Message-----
> >Not to state the obvious but........
> >Did you change the filter from the default of Error
> >Normally when you choose Display Error Log you
> >wouldn't expect to see anything, however if you
> >change the drop down filter to All Types you should
> >see the log messages.

> >If still nothing shows up - are you a sysadmin - is it
> >just this server/your workstation ?

> >--
> >HTH

> >Jasper Smith (SQL Server MVP)

> >I support PASS - the definitive, global
> >community for SQL Server professionals -
> >http://www.sqlpass.org


> message

> >> Running SQL Server 2000 SP2; in Enterprise Manager under
> >> SQL Server Agent, the errorlog shows no items.  I can
> view
> >> them if I locate the files in the filesystem but I
> should
> >> be able to view them in Enterprise Manager.  Any ideas?

> >> Thanks!

> >.

 
 
 

Can't View ErrorLog in EM

Post by Dee Rogheli » Sat, 04 Jan 2003 06:46:14


Jasper,

I think that is for the SQL Server Agent errorlog, not the
SQL Server errorlog.  I did what you said, however.  I was
able to view the sqlagent.out file here but I want to be
able to view the errorlog files in the Management section
of Enterprise Manager.  This is the only server I have
that won't display the logs here.

Dee

>-----Original Message-----
>Once you right click on SQL Agent and choose
>Display Error Log , the drop down listbox next
>to the Apply Filter button is what you need to change.
>Choose All Types from the listbox and you should
>see the log contents.

>--
>HTH

>Jasper Smith (SQL Server MVP)

>I support PASS - the definitive, global
>community for SQL Server professionals -
>http://www.sqlpass.org


message

>> Jasper,

>> I am not exactly sure what you mean.  Where do you view
>> the filter?

>> Dee
>> >-----Original Message-----
>> >Not to state the obvious but........
>> >Did you change the filter from the default of Error
>> >Normally when you choose Display Error Log you
>> >wouldn't expect to see anything, however if you
>> >change the drop down filter to All Types you should
>> >see the log messages.

>> >If still nothing shows up - are you a sysadmin - is it
>> >just this server/your workstation ?

>> >--
>> >HTH

>> >Jasper Smith (SQL Server MVP)

>> >I support PASS - the definitive, global
>> >community for SQL Server professionals -
>> >http://www.sqlpass.org


in
>> message

>> >> Running SQL Server 2000 SP2; in Enterprise Manager
under
>> >> SQL Server Agent, the errorlog shows no items.  I can
>> view
>> >> them if I locate the files in the filesystem but I
>> should
>> >> be able to view them in Enterprise Manager.  Any
ideas?

>> >> Thanks!

>> >.

>.

 
 
 

Can't View ErrorLog in EM

Post by Jasper Smit » Sat, 04 Jan 2003 08:37:13


Sorry, your first post mentioned SQL Agent hence
my confusion :-) . So you can't see the SQL server
error log in EM.Does it hang or does it just not show
anything. Is the server registered in EM using SQL or
NT Authentication ? Open Query Analyzer using
the same credentials as used in the EM registration and
run the following

exec master..sp_enumerrorlogs

exec master..sp_readerrorlog

do you get any results back from either ?

--
HTH

Jasper Smith (SQL Server MVP)

I support PASS - the definitive, global
community for SQL Server professionals -
http://www.sqlpass.org


> Jasper,

> I think that is for the SQL Server Agent errorlog, not the
> SQL Server errorlog.  I did what you said, however.  I was
> able to view the sqlagent.out file here but I want to be
> able to view the errorlog files in the Management section
> of Enterprise Manager.  This is the only server I have
> that won't display the logs here.

> Dee
> >-----Original Message-----
> >Once you right click on SQL Agent and choose
> >Display Error Log , the drop down listbox next
> >to the Apply Filter button is what you need to change.
> >Choose All Types from the listbox and you should
> >see the log contents.

> >--
> >HTH

> >Jasper Smith (SQL Server MVP)

> >I support PASS - the definitive, global
> >community for SQL Server professionals -
> >http://www.sqlpass.org


> message

> >> Jasper,

> >> I am not exactly sure what you mean.  Where do you view
> >> the filter?

> >> Dee
> >> >-----Original Message-----
> >> >Not to state the obvious but........
> >> >Did you change the filter from the default of Error
> >> >Normally when you choose Display Error Log you
> >> >wouldn't expect to see anything, however if you
> >> >change the drop down filter to All Types you should
> >> >see the log messages.

> >> >If still nothing shows up - are you a sysadmin - is it
> >> >just this server/your workstation ?

> >> >--
> >> >HTH

> >> >Jasper Smith (SQL Server MVP)

> >> >I support PASS - the definitive, global
> >> >community for SQL Server professionals -
> >> >http://www.sqlpass.org


> in
> >> message

> >> >> Running SQL Server 2000 SP2; in Enterprise Manager
> under
> >> >> SQL Server Agent, the errorlog shows no items.  I can
> >> view
> >> >> them if I locate the files in the filesystem but I
> >> should
> >> >> be able to view them in Enterprise Manager.  Any
> ideas?

> >> >> Thanks!

> >> >.

> >.

 
 
 

Can't View ErrorLog in EM

Post by Dee Rogheli » Sat, 04 Jan 2003 23:57:55


When I try and view the errorlogs in EM, I see "(No
Items)".  There is nothing there even though I can look in
the file system and see my 6 archived logs.  The server is
registered in EM as SQL Server Authentication at my
workstation and using NT Authentication at the server
itself and I can't view the logs in either place.  I ran
the queries you gave me and I was able to view the
errorlog in Query Analyzer.

Dee

>-----Original Message-----
>Sorry, your first post mentioned SQL Agent hence
>my confusion :-) . So you can't see the SQL server
>error log in EM.Does it hang or does it just not show
>anything. Is the server registered in EM using SQL or
>NT Authentication ? Open Query Analyzer using
>the same credentials as used in the EM registration and
>run the following

>exec master..sp_enumerrorlogs

>exec master..sp_readerrorlog

>do you get any results back from either ?

>--
>HTH

>Jasper Smith (SQL Server MVP)

>I support PASS - the definitive, global
>community for SQL Server professionals -
>http://www.sqlpass.org


message

>> Jasper,

>> I think that is for the SQL Server Agent errorlog, not
the
>> SQL Server errorlog.  I did what you said, however.  I
was
>> able to view the sqlagent.out file here but I want to be
>> able to view the errorlog files in the Management
section
>> of Enterprise Manager.  This is the only server I have
>> that won't display the logs here.

>> Dee
>> >-----Original Message-----
>> >Once you right click on SQL Agent and choose
>> >Display Error Log , the drop down listbox next
>> >to the Apply Filter button is what you need to change.
>> >Choose All Types from the listbox and you should
>> >see the log contents.

>> >--
>> >HTH

>> >Jasper Smith (SQL Server MVP)

>> >I support PASS - the definitive, global
>> >community for SQL Server professionals -
>> >http://www.sqlpass.org


in
>> message

>> >> Jasper,

>> >> I am not exactly sure what you mean.  Where do you
view
>> >> the filter?

>> >> Dee
>> >> >-----Original Message-----
>> >> >Not to state the obvious but........
>> >> >Did you change the filter from the default of Error
>> >> >Normally when you choose Display Error Log you
>> >> >wouldn't expect to see anything, however if you
>> >> >change the drop down filter to All Types you should
>> >> >see the log messages.

>> >> >If still nothing shows up - are you a sysadmin - is
it
>> >> >just this server/your workstation ?

>> >> >--
>> >> >HTH

>> >> >Jasper Smith (SQL Server MVP)

>> >> >I support PASS - the definitive, global
>> >> >community for SQL Server professionals -
>> >> >http://www.sqlpass.org


wrote
>> in
>> >> message

>> >> >> Running SQL Server 2000 SP2; in Enterprise Manager
>> under
>> >> >> SQL Server Agent, the errorlog shows no items.  I
can
>> >> view
>> >> >> them if I locate the files in the filesystem but I
>> >> should
>> >> >> be able to view them in Enterprise Manager.  Any
>> ideas?

>> >> >> Thanks!

>> >> >.

>> >.

>.

 
 
 

1. Can't View DTS packages nor Tables using EM

We are using SQL Server 2000 with service pack 2. Only the
client tools are loaded on a standard Windows 2000
terminal server running in application mode. We are
encountering the following problems:

After openning Enterprise Manager. I will get the
following error from MMC when I try to connect to any
server:

Snap-in failed to initialize.
Name: Meta Data Services
CLSID: {1DBA4DD-EB97-...a bit more ..}

This only happens for the first server we try to connect
to. It doesn't matter if the first server is SQL Server
2000 or SQL Server 7.0.

I don't know if the above relates to the following
problems but think it might.

Whenever we try to open a DTS package to view the contents
we get the following error labeled DTS Designer Error:

The specified module could not be found.

I can use the client tools on my workstation and open the
same DTS package and it will open.

The last error we get is when we try to open a table in
Enterprise Manager we get the following error labeled SQL
Server Enterprise Manager:

An unexpected error happened during this operation.

Has anyone seen any of these errors or have an idea how to
resolve them?

Robert Marda

2. Where to Find ADO for VB5?

3. if you will promise Allahdad's swamp against cans, it will angrily depart the unit

4. Semaphore Implementation in VB4.0

5. Copy SQL Server ErrorLog Contents to NT ErrorLog

6. sqlserverAgent doesn't start automatically

7. Urgent, Server can't start, Errorlog is locked by other Process

8. need help with input into problem.

9. SQL server goes down, don't understand errorlog

10. Error that stored procedures aren't in collection, but they're listed in EM

11. EM doesn't see drive until it's formatted

12. 'Display Dependencies' problem in EM

13. Can't see SQL 7.0 DB's with EM 2000