Setting up a single table across multiple partitions

Setting up a single table across multiple partitions

Post by Melanie Cook » Sun, 13 Jan 2002 04:07:23

Does anyone know if you can set up a single table across
multiple partitions.  This is a feature of Oracle 9i,and I
was wondering if SQL Server 2000 allows you to do this
also.  If anyone can answer this, then I'd be very happy.
If someone can point me to soem documentation, I'd be eve
happier!

Thanks.

Setting up a single table across multiple partitions

Post by Andy » Sun, 13 Jan 2002 04:43:19

Check out books online and look into file groups.

You're going to be able to move the data across multiple partitions but
you're going to give up control about which file group receives the data.

Said another way, the default is going to be to put data across the file
groups as SQL server sees fit.

You can partition the data but that's a pain.

Check out books online for more info.

Quote:> Does anyone know if you can set up a single table across
> multiple partitions.  This is a feature of Oracle 9i,and I
> was wondering if SQL Server 2000 allows you to do this
> also.  If anyone can answer this, then I'd be very happy.
> If someone can point me to soem documentation, I'd be eve
> happier!

> Thanks.

Setting up a single table across multiple partitions

Post by Dinesh T » Sun, 13 Jan 2002 04:43:37

Melanie,

Performance point of view, you can acheive that by RAID.

Dinesh.

Quote:> Does anyone know if you can set up a single table across
> multiple partitions.  This is a feature of Oracle 9i,and I
> was wondering if SQL Server 2000 allows you to do this
> also.  If anyone can answer this, then I'd be very happy.
> If someone can point me to soem documentation, I'd be eve
> happier!

> Thanks.

Setting up a single table across multiple partitions

Post by Melanie Cook » Sun, 13 Jan 2002 06:09:05

It's not that we're having preformance problems, we're
looking to upgrade and we're comparing Oracle 9i to SQL
Server 2000.  This is completely different from a RAID
setup.
Oracle 9i offers this.  I've read that SQL Server can
partition a database, but I want to partition a single
table, which I can;t seem to find mention of that in SQL
Server literature, which is leading me to believe it
cannot.

Thanks.

Setting up a single table across multiple partitions

Post by Melanie Cook » Sun, 13 Jan 2002 06:12:57

I've read that you can partition databases (including
views) but I would like to know if you can partition and
individual table.  We aren;t currenltly planning on doing
this -- we're looking at upgrading SQL 7 and comparing it
to Oracle 9i -- and this can be done in Oracle, so we wan
to know if and how it can be done in SQL Server 2000.

Thanks!

Setting up a single table across multiple partitions

Post by Dinesh T » Sun, 13 Jan 2002 06:28:13

Melanie,

am a novice in Oracle .

Quote:>>>but I want to partition a single
> table

Already filegroups have been discussed.Apart from that partition can be done
vertically
by dividing a single wide table into smaller ones based on columns and
placing them in diff.filegroups.
Or you can also divide a table having large amounts of historic data
horizontally
based on some criteria (like date).

since you know abt database patition the same concept applies over
here...when you create a table you mention to which filegroup
it shld go..if you dont mention that by default its going to be primary.

Dinesh.

Quote:> It's not that we're having preformance problems, we're
> looking to upgrade and we're comparing Oracle 9i to SQL
> Server 2000.  This is completely different from a RAID
> setup.
> Oracle 9i offers this.  I've read that SQL Server can
> partition a database, but I want to partition a single
> table, which I can;t seem to find mention of that in SQL
> Server literature, which is leading me to believe it
> cannot.

> Thanks.

Setting up a single table across multiple partitions

Post by oj » Sun, 13 Jan 2002 06:40:46

not quite... it's more like partition views in sqlserver!

-oj

> Melanie,

> am a novice in Oracle .

> > table

> Already filegroups have been discussed.Apart from that partition can be
done
> vertically
> by dividing a single wide table into smaller ones based on columns and
> placing them in diff.filegroups.
> Or you can also divide a table having large amounts of historic data
> horizontally
> based on some criteria (like date).

> since you know abt database patition the same concept applies over
> here...when you create a table you mention to which filegroup
> it shld go..if you dont mention that by default its going to be primary.

> Dinesh.

> > It's not that we're having preformance problems, we're
> > looking to upgrade and we're comparing Oracle 9i to SQL
> > Server 2000.  This is completely different from a RAID
> > setup.
> > Oracle 9i offers this.  I've read that SQL Server can
> > partition a database, but I want to partition a single
> > table, which I can;t seem to find mention of that in SQL
> > Server literature, which is leading me to believe it
> > cannot.

> > Thanks.

Setting up a single table across multiple partitions

Post by Sreeniva » Sun, 13 Jan 2002 10:46:49

Oracle equivalent of Partitioned tables in SQL Server is
Partitioned Views.  There is no concept of partitioned
tables in SQL Server.
Quote:>-----Original Message-----

Post by Melanie Cook » Tue, 15 Jan 2002 21:55:19

Quote:>-----Original Message-----

Oracle equivalent of Partitioned tables in SQL Server is
Partitioned Views. There is no concept of partitioned
tables in SQL Server.

Quote:>-----Reply Message-----

So this means that even though you can set up a table to span multiple
filegroups, you can't specify a data range of where where to place which
data (i.e. date ranges)?

Sorry to beat this to death, but I just want to make sure I fully
understand.

Thanks so much!!
Melanie

1. using multiple partitions for a single table

Is it possible in postgres 7.1.3 to have a single
table span multiple partitions?  Or is using RAID the
only option?

Thanks
Taher

http://im.yahoo.com

2. MAPI Problems

3. Dataflex v3.4 - Single file across multiple physical disks

4. Creating table Structure question

5. Can we partition tables of databases across servers on some condition

6. field names not retaining it's import order

7. setting password/access privileges once across multiple files FMP 5.5v2

8. Multiple source databases and tables to single destination table

9. Select multiple top 5 record from single record set

10. stored procdure return a set of multiple rows or single row

11. DAO: multiple record sets in single transaction

12. multiple screen, multiple table screen sets