Server: Msg 4321, Level 16, State 1, Line 2

Server: Msg 4321, Level 16, State 1, Line 2

Post by Mikhai » Thu, 15 Nov 2001 09:38:35

Hello all,

I'm trying to restore selected filegroup with secondary
data file in it on MS SQL Server 7.0 following with the
sequence of transaction log backups and setting STOPAT
option for the last transaction log backup.

All backups are restored OK, except the last transaction
log backup, here I get this error:

Server: Msg 4321, Level 16, State 1, Line 2
The minimum recovery point of the database is beyond the
specified point-in-time. Reissue this statement without
specifying STOPAT.

For my scenario, I make full database backup at 10:15 AM.
Then I make transaction log backup at 10:30 AM.

Then I delete one of metatables on secondary datafile at
10:35 AM.

Then I make active transaction log backup at 10:40 AM.

When I use STOPAT option for the last transaction log
backup, this error message is returned.

Could you please advice?

Regards,

Mikhail Gvozdev

Server: Msg 4321, Level 16, State 1, Line 2

Post by Tibor Karasz » Thu, 15 Nov 2001 20:11:38

I'm not sure but it seems like you try to stop at *after* the crash. Like, in your example, you
have a crash at 10.35, backup log at 10.40 and try to stop at 1.38.

--
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP

Quote:> Hello all,

> I'm trying to restore selected filegroup with secondary
> data file in it on MS SQL Server 7.0 following with the
> sequence of transaction log backups and setting STOPAT
> option for the last transaction log backup.

> All backups are restored OK, except the last transaction
> log backup, here I get this error:

> Server: Msg 4321, Level 16, State 1, Line 2
> The minimum recovery point of the database is beyond the
> specified point-in-time. Reissue this statement without
> specifying STOPAT.

> For my scenario, I make full database backup at 10:15 AM.
> Then I make transaction log backup at 10:30 AM.

> Then I delete one of metatables on secondary datafile at
> 10:35 AM.

> Then I make active transaction log backup at 10:40 AM.

> When I use STOPAT option for the last transaction log
> backup, this error message is returned.

> Could you please advice?

> Regards,

> Mikhail Gvozdev

Server: Msg 4321, Level 16, State 1, Line 2

Post by Mikhail Gvozde » Wed, 21 Nov 2001 09:44:50

Hello Tibor,

Thanks for response and sorry for not responding, I was out of the office.

Strange enough, but the same strategy with exactly the same date/time stamps works OK if I use full database backup followed by sequence of transaction log backups.

I can successfully stop the restore of the last transaction log backup at required date and time, right before the "damaging" transaction.

But if I try the same tecnique with filegroup backup - no luck, the same error.

Say, I back up secondary filegroup at Nov 20 2001 11:07 AM.

Then I back up first set of transaction log at the same time.

Then I do "damage" to my database by deleting one of the tables at Nov 20 2001 11:10 AM.

Then I make the second set of transaction log backup to the same backup device at Nov 20 2001 11:15 AM.

Then I restore filegroup from filegroup backup with NORECOVERY option - works.

Then I restore the first set of transaction log backup with NORECOVERY option - works.

Then I try to restore the second set of transaction log backup using STOPAT = 'Nov, 20 2001 11:08 AM' - error 4321 pops up.

But if I use full database backup with the same technique - works OK.

What do you think can be the problem?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Mikhail

Server: Msg 4321, Level 16, State 1, Line 2

Post by Tibor Karasz » Wed, 21 Nov 2001 16:49:19

Quote:> Strange enough, but the same strategy with exactly the same date/time stamps works OK if I use

full database backup followed by sequence of transaction log backups. <

That is exactly my point. You just have to accept that you cannot do point in time restore when
you do partial restore. You'd end up with some data more recent than the other data, and SQL
Server won't have that.

If you get a physical damaged file, why would you want to do a point in time restore anyhow?
Wouldn't you just restore that file and keep on working, from the latest set of data?

--
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP

Quote:> Hello Tibor,

> Thanks for response and sorry for not responding, I was out of the office.

> Strange enough, but the same strategy with exactly the same date/time stamps works OK if I use

full database backup followed by sequence of transaction log backups.
Quote:

> I can successfully stop the restore of the last transaction log backup at required date and

time, right before the "damaging" transaction.
Quote:

> But if I try the same tecnique with filegroup backup - no luck, the same error.

> Say, I back up secondary filegroup at Nov 20 2001 11:07 AM.

> Then I back up first set of transaction log at the same time.

> Then I do "damage" to my database by deleting one of the tables at Nov 20 2001 11:10 AM.

> Then I make the second set of transaction log backup to the same backup device at Nov 20 2001
11:15 AM.

> Then I restore filegroup from filegroup backup with NORECOVERY option - works.

> Then I restore the first set of transaction log backup with NORECOVERY option - works.

> Then I try to restore the second set of transaction log backup using STOPAT = 'Nov, 20 2001

11:08 AM' - error 4321 pops up.

Quote:

> But if I use full database backup with the same technique - works OK.

> What do you think can be the problem?

> Thanks in advance.

> Regards,

> Mikhail

Server: Msg 4321, Level 16, State 1, Line 2

Post by Mikhail Gvozde » Thu, 22 Nov 2001 14:43:03

Hello Tibor,

Yeah, that's what I've eventually realized. If I do partial backup, I cannot restore part of data, because it goes out of synchronization with other data files in the database.

The only situation I've found file and filegroup backups and restores usefull is critical system failure, say, when the whole data file was deleted while SQL Server was stopped.

In this case I can make active transaction log backup using NO_TRUNCATE option and then restore just missing data file and then apply all consequent transaction log backups.

Anyway, thanks for your help, it is much appreciated.

Regards,

Mikhail

1. Server: Msg 7399, Level 16, State 1, Line 1 error on .mdb as linked server

I'm getting the same Server: Msg 7399, Level 16, State 1, Line 1 that
many other people have reported.  I've looked at KB Q285833 but, while
it addresses Server: Msg 7399, Level 16, State 1, Line 1, it doesn't
address the specific error that is listed in the extended text.
(QB241267 has the extended text but doesn't appear to apply either).

 Here is the full error:

Server: Msg 7399, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
OLE DB provider 'Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0' reported an error.
[OLE/DB provider returned message: The Microsoft Jet database engine
cannot open the file 'fullUNCpathtomdb'.  It is already opened
exclusively by another user, or you need permission to view its data.]

(note that I made the database path generic but otherwise that's a
straight quote)

I've set up the linked server properly (i.e. it's going in with the
Admin user and a null password).  When I got this error I thought I
had it licked: I went in and found that the service account was
configured to the local machine and thus couldn't get out to the
network share.  I changed it to my account, stopped and restarted the
service.  But now I get the exact same error.  And, importantly, the
file is NOT opened exclusively by another user.  It's got to be the
permissions thing.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated: this is so
frustrating.  I had very similar bad experiences with this very
database in IIS that I still don't have licked (i.e. it gave a
somewhat cryptic error when the problem was that the account IIS
impersonates couldn't get to the network shares).

I hope someone can help with this or that this perhaps illimunates
past discussions on the topic.  I really need this to work; it will
make things so much easier!

Mike Lerch

2. SQL syntax again

3. RETAINDAYS

4. Server: Msg 8114, Level 16, State 1, Procedure co_AddTrader_Information, Line 0

5. year 2000 "certification"

6. Server: Msg 4425, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

7. Santa Clara, CA - Mentorware Operations Engineer (req. Oracle Tuning, Web Dev w/Java, Customer Support Exp.)

8. Server: Msg 1776, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

9. Server: Msg 214, Level 16, State 2, Procedure sp_execute, Line 52

10. Server: Msg 7619, Level 16, State 1, Line 2

11. Server: Msg 7619, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

12. Server: Msg 8115, Level 16, State 2, Procedure sp_monitor, Line 94