Remotely starting in single-user mode?

Post by Steven Bagsha » Sat, 03 May 1997 04:00:00

Hi All,

I was hoping someone would know of a way or utility to enable me to
start a remote server in single-user mode.

I am suffering from a documented bug of SQL Server's where the tempdb
log keeps getting expanded instead of the db. To remedy this, I
apparently need to start the server in single-user mode, then shrink it
and so on.

I would like to avoid having to sit at the machine itself, but I'm not
sure how to start a service with parameters (either through a DOS-style
window or the Services applet) remotely.

If anyone could give me a hint or some ideas, I'd be very appreciative.

Thanks,

Steven Bagshaw
CPA Online Officer
Australian Society of CPAs

Remotely starting in single-user mode?

Post by Neil Pik » Sat, 03 May 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> I would like to avoid having to sit at the machine itself, but I'm not
> sure how to start a service with parameters (either through a DOS-style
> window or the Services applet) remotely.

 Steven,

 With NT server manager, highlight the machine and choose services.  Then in
the service menu put the parameter(s) in the relevant box and choose start for
mssqlserver.

 Protech Computing Ltd (MS Solution Provider)
 Using Virtual Access 3.52 build 159c (32-bit) on NT 4.0 SP2

1. When Single User Mode is not Single User Mode

Have a process that restores the transaction logs from one SQL Server onto
another every half hour. It first attempts to set the target database into
single user mode and continues with this until successful. Once in single
user mode, it commences the backup using the Restore command.

Sometimes this Restore command fails with the error message "Database in
use. The system administrator must have exclusive use of the database to run
the restore operation".

After some investigation have observed that when a database is in Single
user mode with a connection already present, the 2nd attempt to connect to
it (2nd connection) will timeout after the specified timeout interval. If
additional connections are attempted simulteneousely (any more than 2) these
fail immediately. Whilst the 2nd connection is waiting to timeout, there are
actually 2 connections to the database in single user mode, which causes the
Restore to fail.

Any ideas about why this happens and how it can be avoided/fixed. This is on
SQL Server 7 SP4.

2. ingres-cilink : nice wedding

3. Problem starting SQLServer in single-user mode

4. Tango incopatibilities

5. HOW TO START SQL SERVER IN SINGLE USER MODE ON CLUSTER

6. SQL Indexes - MSSQL 6.5

7. Couldn't able to start the sql server in single user mode

8. Need Help SQL

9. SQL 7 Cluster (on W2k) - starting the server in Single User Mode

10. Won't start in single user mode

11. Unable to Start SQL Server 2000 in Single User Mode

12. How to start server i single user mode

13. starting in single user mode