Max Named Pipes

Post by Sandee » Fri, 12 Jun 1998 04:00:00

How many times I can listen on a single named pipe.

A>Does anybody know how many named pipe connections can be opened ?

B> How to find out how many named pipe connections are currently made on the
system ?

C> To count named pipes I do following . Is it right.
    net file | findstr /C:"PIPE" | wc -l

D> Suppose I have a pipe '\pipe\ods\xyz' . How many connection can I have on
one single pipe (eg.xyz).
and is there any registry configurable parameter.

Thanks,
San

Max Named Pipes

Post by Neil Pik » Sat, 13 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> How many times I can listen on a single named pipe.

 No practical limit

Quote:> A>Does anybody know how many named pipe connections can be opened ?

 No practical limit

Quote:> B> How to find out how many named pipe connections are currently made on the
> system ?
> C> To count named pipes I do following . Is it right.
>     net file | findstr /C:"PIPE" | wc -l

 Yup.  Or use NTHANDLEX from www.sysinternals.com

Quote:

> D> Suppose I have a pipe '\pipe\ods\xyz' . How many connection can I have on
> one single pipe (eg.xyz).
> and is there any registry configurable parameter.

 No practical limit.  However there is no backlog/buffering facility with
named-pipes so if you try to open one many times simultaneously some will fail
(this is why you might want SQL to listen on multiple named-pipes)

 Neil Pike MVP/MCSE
 Protech Computing Ltd