Strange Problem

Post by CelR » Wed, 03 Oct 2001 02:38:14

We have a Web Application setup using ASP pages connecting to a MS SQL
7.0 database.  Recently, we moved the system to a new set of servers
(one for the web, one for the db).  After the move we are seeing a
very strange and annoying problem outlined below (which we did NOT see
on the old servers or in our test environment).

Both servers are running along fine for a while (30-60 minutes), then
the response time from the db drops to almost nothing.  ASP pages take
forever to return if they do not timeout.  Both the DB and Web server
show almost no noticeable CPU and Memory usage above normal idle
amounts.  The DB is not waiting on any locks to resolve or anything
like that.  Traffic on the Web Server is minimal (approx 200-250
current sessions).  So, from all appearances, both servers are not
experiencing any signifcant load, yet the performance would suggest
otherwise.

Restarting IIS on the Web server will alleviate the slowness for
another 30-60 minutes.

Any body out there ever experience anything similar?  Or, does anybody
have any suggestions for us to try?

TIA.

Strange Problem

Post by Ja » Thu, 11 Oct 2001 23:23:22

Could be the ASP code itself.
Or the COM componets holding the resousres of the server.
Jai

> We have a Web Application setup using ASP pages connecting to a MS SQL
> 7.0 database.  Recently, we moved the system to a new set of servers
> (one for the web, one for the db).  After the move we are seeing a
> very strange and annoying problem outlined below (which we did NOT see
> on the old servers or in our test environment).

> Both servers are running along fine for a while (30-60 minutes), then
> the response time from the db drops to almost nothing.  ASP pages take
> forever to return if they do not timeout.  Both the DB and Web server
> show almost no noticeable CPU and Memory usage above normal idle
> amounts.  The DB is not waiting on any locks to resolve or anything
> like that.  Traffic on the Web Server is minimal (approx 200-250
> current sessions).  So, from all appearances, both servers are not
> experiencing any signifcant load, yet the performance would suggest
> otherwise.

> Restarting IIS on the Web server will alleviate the slowness for
> another 30-60 minutes.

> Any body out there ever experience anything similar?  Or, does anybody
> have any suggestions for us to try?

> TIA.

Strange Problem

Post by CelR » Fri, 12 Oct 2001 02:42:46

> Could be the ASP code itself.
> Or the COM componets holding the resousres of the server.
> Jai

Could be, but I don't think so.  The whole system worked exceptionally
well on the old set of servers.  Unfortunately, we were forced to move
to a new set of servers, where this problem started arising.

_C

1. Strange problem with appendchunk, stranger solution yet

I have a SQL table with an image field. The table is linked to an Access mdb
and I write to it using VBA code. We were writing new data to the image
field with the appendchunk VBA method. The data was PDF (acrobat files).
Worked fine for several months. Then had a requirement to put jpg files in
the same field. Tried using same code to appendchunk a byte array that now
contained the jpg file bytes instead of PDF files. It fails. We get an ODBC
driver error 3157. None of the conditions that would cause that error exist.
We do a test on another table with similar data structure. It works!
We realize that the only difference between the table in which we can import
and the other one that fails is that the one that fails has a primary key
constraint. We remove the primary key constraint and replace it with a
unique index and guess what. The inserts and updates to the table now work
ok.
Now problem is , previously we had immediate synchronization with another
table on another server working fine via replication. That  replicated table
had no PK constraint.  Now the replicated table does not get updated
anymore.

Now what the hey would a PKconstraint have to do with being able to update
another field or not using appendchunk when the only difference between what
works and what doesn't is the contents of the byte array being saved? The
jpg files were bigger than the PDF files but so what?

I just LOVE this sh......! <GGGGGGG> ;-)

--
Robert Dufour, MCP, MCT
President SGI IMS Inc.

2. DB-Copy for testing on same machine...

3. Strange problem

4. migrating an access project to another machine

5. A strange Problem

6. Moving the tempdb in v7.0

7. Strange problem with

8. MultiUser Work Control of Pdox 5.0

9. Strange problem with MS Access Query

10. Strange Problem with netware Named Pipes

11. Strange problem!!!!!

12. DTS Executions strange problem

13. Strange Problem!