Scheduled Backup or Maintenance Plan in SQL Server 7.0 does not start (help)

Scheduled Backup or Maintenance Plan in SQL Server 7.0 does not start (help)

Post by Jon Morri » Thu, 07 Dec 2000 04:00:00

When I schedule a Backup or Maintenance Plan in SQL Server 7.0, it does not
happen.  There are no messages is the error log.  No error whatsoever. It
doesn't seem to start.
Immediate backups work fine.

Any thoughts?

Jon

Scheduled Backup or Maintenance Plan in SQL Server 7.0 does not start (help)

Post by Tibor Karasz » Fri, 08 Dec 2000 16:37:57

Jon,

Obvious question is if the SQLServerAgent service is started?

--
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
Neil's FAQ at: http://www.sqlserverfaq.com

> When I schedule a Backup or Maintenance Plan in SQL Server 7.0, it does not
> happen.  There are no messages is the error log.  No error whatsoever. It
> doesn't seem to start.
> Immediate backups work fine.

> Any thoughts?

> Jon

Scheduled Backup or Maintenance Plan in SQL Server 7.0 does not start (help)

Post by scott colv » Fri, 08 Dec 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

Definitely check the state of the SQL Server Agent.  (it must be running
for any jobs to work).

A second concern is security.   Ensure that if any network shares are
involved that the account has appropriate rights to it.

If the job runs fine manually, but not when scheduled, log in as the
account you set up the agent to run under and try again.  If it fails, you
have found the problem.

Thanks,

Scott Colvin
SQL Server Developer Support

Hours:  9:00 AM - 7:00 PM PST Wed. - Sat.

Satisfied customers are my top priority.  If you have comments or feedback
please contact myself or my managers Stephen Hnetinka

--------------------

| When I schedule a Backup or Maintenance Plan in SQL Server 7.0, it does
not
| happen.  There are no messages is the error log.  No error whatsoever. It
| doesn't seem to start.
| Immediate backups work fine.
|
| Any thoughts?
|
| Jon

Scheduled Backup or Maintenance Plan in SQL Server 7.0 does not start (help)

Post by Garry Freemye » Fri, 08 Dec 2000 04:00:00

By default new jobs are not enabled. Check properties and all the tabs for
the job and make sure it's enabled.

Also check the boxes that says notify when successful and notify when
failure.

Quote:> When I schedule a Backup or Maintenance Plan in SQL Server 7.0, it does
not
> happen.  There are no messages is the error log.  No error whatsoever. It
> doesn't seem to start.
> Immediate backups work fine.

> Any thoughts?

> Jon

Scheduled Backup or Maintenance Plan in SQL Server 7.0 does not start (help)

Post by Jon Morri » Sun, 24 Dec 2000 03:08:32

The obvious question was the right one since the SQLServerAgent service was
not started and once it was started, everything worked.  Thanks.

Jon

> Jon,

> Obvious question is if the SQLServerAgent service is started?

> --
> Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
> Neil's FAQ at: http://www.sqlserverfaq.com
> Please reply to the newsgroup only, not by email.

Quote:> > When I schedule a Backup or Maintenance Plan in SQL Server 7.0, it does
not
> > happen.  There are no messages is the error log.  No error whatsoever.
It
> > doesn't seem to start.
> > Immediate backups work fine.

> > Any thoughts?

> > Jon

1. sql server Maintenance plans not running on schedule

I have created various maintenance plans for appx 6 prod databases. This
included weekly full db backups, daily tran log backups and integrity
checks and such. One of the backups failed so I altered the schedule on
the JOB, so that it would run after the others completed. I checked the
maintenance plan for this job and the schedule was updated there as
well. But the job has not executed the last 2 weeks. Now I notice in the
job window that it states the next runtime is on a wednesday when its
scheduled to run every sunday.

2. Oracle 8.1.7.0.1 on SuSe 7.3 ??? PLEASE HELP

3. SQL 7.0 SP4 Backup log - Maintenance plan

4. help alert

5. Scheduled Transaction log backup with Maintenance plan

6. IINUX/sco AND oh yes Unixware

7. SQL 7 Database Maintenance Plan does not delete backup files

8. Sql Agent job Data HELP!!

9. DB Maintenance Plan not running??? MS SQL 7.0

10. Backup via maintenance schedule on SQL7 started to fail

11. SQL Server 2000 maintenance plan fails to remove old transaction backups