SQL Database Setup - Need 11/7 AM Help

Post by Dave Lon » Tue, 07 Nov 2000 04:00:00

I just took over as project manager for this database project.  We've asked
the vendor to supply us with descriptive (plain English) names to go with
each of the fields.  The vendor says that this information was not done and
would be very involved.  When I did some database work back in ACCESS, I
always put in a plain English description.  Is this feature not available in
SQL 7.0?  Even if it isn't, shouldn't the vendor have done something like it
anyway just as a good practice?  I'd appreciate some thoughts.  I'm not
going to start a battle with the vendor but I would like to have some
professional perspective on what would have been best practices.

Thanks

SQL Database Setup - Need 11/7 AM Help

Post by Umachandar Jayachandra » Tue, 07 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>> Is this feature not available in SQL 7.0?

    Yes that is true. SQL2000 introduces extended properties for database
objects.

Quote:>> Even if it isn't, shouldn't the vendor have done something
>> like it anyway just as a good practice?

    I guess so. Database diagrams or ER diagrams would suffice I think.

--
Umachandar Jayachandran
SQL Resources at http://www.umachandar.com/resources.htm

SQL Database Setup - Need 11/7 AM Help

Post by Nick » Wed, 08 Nov 2000 04:00:00

I always think it's good practise to have a data dictionary of some form
listing, tables (with a brief description of what they are used for) and
listing all fields and what they contain. If you're replacing staff then it
save a lot of learning time and avoids potential errors if you have a
definitive place of reference.

Quote:> >> Is this feature not available in SQL 7.0?

>     Yes that is true. SQL2000 introduces extended properties for database
> objects.

> >> Even if it isn't, shouldn't the vendor have done something
> >> like it anyway just as a good practice?

>     I guess so. Database diagrams or ER diagrams would suffice I think.

> --
> Umachandar Jayachandran
> SQL Resources at http://www.umachandar.com/resources.htm
> (Please reply only to the newsgroup)

SQL Database Setup - Need 11/7 AM Help

Post by NDG » Wed, 08 Nov 2000 04:00:00

The vendor probably has internal documentation  but does not wish to publish
it or make it available.  This is not unusual, but also it is not very
professional.  Often. paticulalry with small vendors, it is a matter of
staffing and cost to produce a usable document for their customers, in other
cases it is a matter of maintaining trade secrets.

See if you can get internal documents in exchange for signing some sort of
non-disclosure agreement.

Quote:

> I just took over as project manager for this database project.  We've
asked
> the vendor to supply us with descriptive (plain English) names to go with
> each of the fields.  The vendor says that this information was not done
and
> would be very involved.  When I did some database work back in ACCESS, I
> always put in a plain English description.  Is this feature not available
in
> SQL 7.0?  Even if it isn't, shouldn't the vendor have done something like
it
> anyway just as a good practice?  I'd appreciate some thoughts.  I'm not
> going to start a battle with the vendor but I would like to have some
> professional perspective on what would have been best practices.

> Thanks

1. database needed for os2 v2.11 HELP

  I'm Looking for a COMPLETE database program for OS2 v2.11.
 so far all I have found for choices.
    1. a ported version of ALPHA 4 ver 4.0 which is text based
       and exactly the same as the dos version

    2. some references to DB2 for OS2 which I guess is an IBM Product
       but all the references to this product seem to refer to it as a
       database engine only which would require me to program an entire
       front end application to access it

 I am looking for something like MS-ACCESS which I could run natively
in OS2 V2.11

                           If Anyone Has Any Info On Above Products
                           Or Any Others Which Might Suit My Needs
                           PLEASE MAIL ME Directly
                                         THANX
                                         CARL THOR

2. Connection cursor location vs. Recordset cursor location

3. need help connecting NT client SSM to SQL 11 server

4. US-CA-LA-OC Database Professionals Wanted

5. Need help in SQL 11 installation

6. Beta Testers Wanted For ODB-C++(TM) Library

7. Q: Install/Setup ODBC using IPX on Win/Win3.11 to SQL v6.0

8. VB, Access, SQL problem

9. HELP - Database Setup App Help NEEDED ???

10. -->Need Database Guru to Help Setup Massive Discographical Database

11. Need Lessons Learned: Upgrading from Version 10 to 11 and 11.0.3 to 11.5

12. Opinions needed for Upgrade 11.0.3.3 to 11.9.2

13. SQL 6.5 need help with SQL Mail setup