Can not connect to analysis server after rename the server name

Can not connect to analysis server after rename the server name

Post by sheen l » Sat, 27 Jul 2002 23:28:52

Hi all,

   Please help me on this one:

I can not connect to the analysis server (db1) from
another machine after I renamed the db1 host server (also
hosts SQL 2000 server, I used sp_dropserver/sp_addserver
to rename the sqlserver).
I can connect to the analysis server locally, but when I
connect from another machine, it complains can not find a
file called "\\db1\xx$\*.mdb" (sorry I did not remember
the exact path name), because it still uses the old server
name obviously.
What changes do I need to make on the OLAP side?

Thanks

Can not connect to analysis server after rename the server name

Post by Andrew Mc Va » Sun, 28 Jul 2002 00:16:45

Try migrating the repository to SQL Server.

Right Click on Server. Migrate Repository.

~Andrew.

Quote:> Hi all,

>    Please help me on this one:

> I can not connect to the analysis server (db1) from
> another machine after I renamed the db1 host server (also
> hosts SQL 2000 server, I used sp_dropserver/sp_addserver
> to rename the sqlserver).
> I can connect to the analysis server locally, but when I
> connect from another machine, it complains can not find a
> file called "\\db1\xx$\*.mdb" (sorry I did not remember
> the exact path name), because it still uses the old server
> name obviously.
> What changes do I need to make on the OLAP side?

> Thanks

Can not connect to analysis server after rename the server name

Post by shee » Sun, 28 Jul 2002 06:02:27

Thanks.

Do I need to reprocess all the cubes/models/dimensions?
Seems like I have to rebuild the OLAP to flush out all old
pointers? I do not have that evvironment to test this
anymore.

Post by shee » Sun, 28 Jul 2002 06:02:23

Thanks.

Do I need to reprocess all the cubes/models/dimensions?
Seems like I have to rebuild the OLAP to flush out all old
pointers? I do not have that evvironment to test this
anymore.

Post by Ashvini Sharma [MS » Sun, 28 Jul 2002 06:04:50

The remote repository connection string is stored in

Tree: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\OLAP Server\Server Connection
Info
Key: RemoteRepositoryConnectionString

This is probably still refering to your old machine name. Change the
connection string to refer to your new server and this problem should be
fixed.

--
Ashvini Sharma
Development Lead

purposes and is intended to prevent automated spam. This posting is provided
"AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Quote:> Hi all,

>    Please help me on this one:

> I can not connect to the analysis server (db1) from
> another machine after I renamed the db1 host server (also
> hosts SQL 2000 server, I used sp_dropserver/sp_addserver
> to rename the sqlserver).
> I can connect to the analysis server locally, but when I
> connect from another machine, it complains can not find a
> file called "\\db1\xx$\*.mdb" (sorry I did not remember
> the exact path name), because it still uses the old server
> name obviously.
> What changes do I need to make on the OLAP side?

> Thanks

Can not connect to analysis server after rename the server name

Post by Ashvini Sharma[MS » Wed, 31 Jul 2002 04:08:31

You do not need to reprocess any object to switch the repository location.

Take a look at the other email I sent about how to make the change.

--
Ashvini Sharma
Development Lead
SQL Server

purposes and is intended to prevent automated spam. This posting is provided
"AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

> Thanks.

> Do I need to reprocess all the cubes/models/dimensions?
> Seems like I have to rebuild the OLAP to flush out all old
> pointers? I do not have that evvironment to test this
> anymore.

1. Can't connect to OLAP Server after renaming SQL Server Name

Hi

After I renamed our new server from 'BNSDEV1'
to 'BNSTESTSQL', we are unable to register BNSTESTSQL
Analysis server through work station. However, I am able
to register it on the server itself.

Following is the error message when I tried to register
the Analysis Server:
"\\bnsdev1\MsOlapRepository$\msmdrep.mdb is not a valid
path. Make sure that the path name is spelled correctly
and that you are connected to the server on which the file
resides. Do you still want to register the server?"

How can I change the path name to \\bnstestsql\MsOlap...

Thanks,
Jianping.

2. Milliseconds from Sybase datetime field using ADO

3. Renaming SQL 2000 Analysis Server then cannot connect

4. network dll programming issue

5. Problem connecting to Analysis Services after changing server machine name

6. Oracle 8 or below : Indexing EVERY WORD in a multi word text field (eg Title of a book) - similar to library systems.

7. E_GC0025_NM_SRV_ID_ERR Unable to connect to Name Server: Name Server ID

8. Merging two access databases/tables

9. renaming the sql server name in cluster server

10. Renaming W2k Server Name with SQL Server 2000 installed

11. Can not connect to SQL Server 2000 Analysis Service running on Windows Nt

12. Analysis Manager cannot connect to Analysis Server