A service control operation failed for the MSSQLServer service

A service control operation failed for the MSSQLServer service

Post by Andy Cho » Thu, 18 Oct 2001 07:04:18

I'm installing sql server 2000 ent. version on windows
2000 adv. server and it says "A service control operation
failed for the MSSQLServer service: 267 The directory name
is invalid."

Can anyone help?

A service control operation failed for the MSSQLServer service

Post by Vishal Ana » Thu, 18 Oct 2001 07:39:36

Refer to your sqlstp.log and see what is error you are getting

Regards
Vishal Anand
Microsoft SQL Server Support

Of course, this posting wouldn't be complete without a nice, juicy
disclaimer from our lawyers:  This posting is provided "AS IS" with no
warranties, and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use. ? 2001
Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

A service control operation failed for the MSSQLServer service

Post by Andy Cho » Thu, 18 Oct 2001 08:56:03

Following is the error message from the log file but I still don't know what it means..

19:35:13 C:\DOCUME~1\achoi\LOCALS~1\Temp\SqlSetup\Bin\scm.exe  -Silent 1 -Action 5 -ExePath "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL$TEST\binn\sqlservr.exe" -Service "MSSQL$TEST"
19:35:13 Process Exit Code: (267) The directory name is invalid.

19:35:20 A service control operation failed for the MSSQLServer service: 267 The directory name is invalid.

A service control operation failed for the MSSQLServer service

Post by Vishal Ana » Thu, 18 Oct 2001 09:21:55

Hi,
Make sure that you are logged in as local admin of the box before you
install sql server.
I see you are installing using your user account, does this account have
admin privlages?

Regards
Vishal Anand
Microsoft SQL Server Support

Of course, this posting wouldn't be complete without a nice, juicy
disclaimer from our lawyers:  This posting is provided "AS IS" with no
warranties, and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use. ? 2001
Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

A service control operation failed for the MSSQLServer service

Post by Andy Cho » Thu, 18 Oct 2001 11:50:50

Yes, the user has the admin privileges.
I've tried it as the administrator but the same thing happens.
Thanks for your help.

Andy

A service control operation failed for the MSSQLServer service

Post by Tibor Karasz » Thu, 18 Oct 2001 19:18:39

Did you lock down NTFS permissions for that directory?

--
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP

> Yes, the user has the admin privileges.
> I've tried it as the administrator but the same thing happens.
> Thanks for your help.

> Andy

A service control operation failed for the MSSQLServer service

Post by Vishal Ana » Fri, 19 Oct 2001 03:11:50

Is their another instance of SQL Server running as you are using a named
instance,what if you change the path of install directory?

Regards
Vishal Anand
Microsoft SQL Server Support

Of course, this posting wouldn't be complete without a nice, juicy
disclaimer from our lawyers:  This posting is provided "AS IS" with no
warranties, and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use. ? 2001
Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

A service control operation failed for the MSSQLServer service

Post by Andy Cho » Fri, 19 Oct 2001 03:36:05

There was a problem installing MDAC..
There was no such error in sqlstp.log but there was in redist.log.
So, I installed MDAC 2.6 first then SQL 2000 and it was okay.

Andy

1. Service failed (MSSQLServer)

Hi !

I'm getting a "service could not be started..." error. I found the
following entry in Event Viewer:

Event Detail:

Date:        8/24/97                  Event ID:  17052
Time:       10:34:04 AM           Source:    MSSQLServer
User:        N/A                       Type:        Error
Computer: NTSERVER           Category: (2)

The description for Event ID (17052) in Source (MSSQLServer) could not be
found. It contains the following insertion string(s): Unable To Write To
MailSlot.

Data: (X) Bytes   ( ) Words
0000:  (hexadecimal)     ........
0008:  (hexadecimal)     ....NTSE
0010:  (hexadecimal)     RVER....
0018:  (hexadecimal)     .master.

2. ZIP-CODES (Europe)?

3. The MSSQLServer OLAPService service failed

4. parameter substitution in SQL*PLUS

5. MSSQLServer service fails to start due to logon failure

6. Large temp_db

7. The MSSQLServer service failed to start due to the following error: Access Denied

8. Compatibility between 6.5 and 7.0

9. SQL 2000 install failed: A service control operation failed for the MSSQLServer server: 87 The parameter is incorrect.

10. MSSQLSERVER service fails to start

11. MSSQLServer Service Failed!

12. MSSQLSERVER service failed to start

13. can not start the MSSQLSERVER service on local computer