Can we partition tables of databases across servers on some condition

Can we partition tables of databases across servers on some condition

Post by Krishnan Chokkanath » Fri, 08 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I am a newbie to SQLSERVER so I just needed info on the follwing

I have massive table with a column specifiying the geographic location.
Can I partition this table accross SQL Servers based on the column
value. so that each Server services the  rows corresponding to the
specific geographic column value ?

Krishnan

Can we partition tables of databases across servers on some condition

Post by Steve Robinso » Fri, 08 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Krishnan,

Yes in theory you can partition the data anyway you see fit.  The geographic
field could then be used as part of the PK and replication will still be
able to use this.  When it hits the central site you will not have to worrry
about duplicates cropping up as well.

I use branchid's here but the concept is the same

Let me know if you require any more info.

Steve Robinson
SQLServer MVP