To Replicate or Not To Replicate

Post by s.ventur » Tue, 13 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I have a requirement to do SELECTs on a number
of different databases that are not all on the same
SQL Server installation (2 servers, 6 databases).
I don't have enough disk space to replicate all the
databases into one big database.

Can I do connections in Transact-SQL to the databases?

What are my alternatives?

thanks in advance...
s.ventura

To Replicate or Not To Replicate

Post by Steve Robinso » Wed, 14 Oct 1998 04:00:00

s.ventura,

One way to do this was to set up your selects as remote stored procedures.
Then from your primary server run the remote procedure and pull the details
back into a temp table.  Then run your selects against the temp tables.
You can encapsulate this inside of a stored procedure.

All of the above is pretty well documented in books on-line.  But if you
have any problems let me know.

Steve Robinson
SQLServer MVP

Quote:>I have a requirement to do SELECTs on a number
>of different databases that are not all on the same
>SQL Server installation (2 servers, 6 databases).
>I don't have enough disk space to replicate all the
>databases into one big database.

>Can I do connections in Transact-SQL to the databases?

>What are my alternatives?

>thanks in advance...
>s.ventura

1. Some tables are replicated and some of then are Not replicated

I have a problem with my replication.
I am updating some tables and when I make the replication some tables are
pefectly replicated and some of then not.
I don`t get the problem with the same tables the same table is replicated
some times and not replicated  other times.

It does not depend on my application because if I use de isqlw_ce to update
the tables it happens the same.

What happen?. I need help. I am becaming crazy....

--
MaJos Gonzlez Sans
Mobile Systems S.I.

2. Oracle7.3 & Forms30

3. To replicate or not to replicate. That is the question

4. Multicolumn Listbox

5. MSDE to replicate or not to replicate. That is the question

6. Pick Programmers Needed-Kansas City

7. Replicate a replicated table

8. Create a trigger from within a stored procedure

9. replicating non replicated tables

10. i restored one replicated database in another replicated db, and now cant delete publishers in EM

11. Moving a Access replicated database to a MSDE replicated database

12. Replicated transactions appearing in non-replicated DB!

13. Replicating DB from a target replicated DB