DB-Library Error 17805 Invalid buffer received from client

DB-Library Error 17805 Invalid buffer received from client

Post by Andrew Burhan » Wed, 20 Jun 2001 05:01:17

We have an old application that uses DB-Library to connect to SQL Server.
It works fine connecting to SQL Server 6.5 but when testing the application
with SQL Server 2000, we get error 17805, "Invalid buffer received from
client".  Since this is a severity 20 error, SQL Server kills the connection
and the application generates lots of "DBPROCESS is dead or not enabled"
messages.

The application can successfully connect to SQL Server 2000 and execute
several stored procedures.  It gets this error when it tries to execute a
stored procedure with 65 parameters.  We can run this stored procedure from
Query Analyzer or ISQL/W with no problems.

We upgraded the client to MDAC 2.6 but we still have the problem.

Any ideas?

Post by Erland Sommarsko » Wed, 20 Jun 2001 07:03:59

> We have an old application that uses DB-Library to connect to SQL Server.
> It works fine connecting to SQL Server 6.5 but when testing the application
> with SQL Server 2000, we get error 17805, "Invalid buffer received from
> client".  Since this is a severity 20 error, SQL Server kills the connection
> and the application generates lots of "DBPROCESS is dead or not enabled"
> messages.

> The application can successfully connect to SQL Server 2000 and execute
> several stored procedures.  It gets this error when it tries to execute a
> stored procedure with 65 parameters.  We can run this stored procedure from
> Query Analyzer or ISQL/W with no problems.

> We upgraded the client to MDAC 2.6 but we still have the problem.

I could ask for a script that reproduces the problem, but I don't really
want to fight with a 65-parameter stored procedure...

A few things to try:
* Win2000 SP1, which includes a service pack of MDAC 2.6.
* Set the buffer size with dbsetlpacket to 4096 or higher. The default
  buffer size has for some reason be lowered to 512 in Win2000. (Don't
  if this is fixed in SP1.)

I would assume that you are calling the procedure with dbrpcsend?

If this is your own application, one last-dicth attempt would be
send the call as an EXEC statement.

If this is a third-party product, it's probably time to look up their
support number.

--
Erland Sommarskog, Abaris AB

SQL Server MVP

DB-Library Error 17805 Invalid buffer received from client

Post by John Go » Wed, 20 Jun 2001 08:35:33

Andrew,

Can you also run the stored procedure from isql (note no /w)?  This uses
db-lib to connect.

John Gose
Microsoft SQL Server Support

--------------------

| Subject: DB-Library Error 17805 Invalid buffer received from client
| Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 16:01:17 -0400

<Snip of Header Stuff>

| We have an old application that uses DB-Library to connect to SQL Server.
| It works fine connecting to SQL Server 6.5 but when testing the
application
| with SQL Server 2000, we get error 17805, "Invalid buffer received from
| client".  Since this is a severity 20 error, SQL Server kills the
connection
| and the application generates lots of "DBPROCESS is dead or not enabled"
| messages.
|
| The application can successfully connect to SQL Server 2000 and execute
| several stored procedures.  It gets this error when it tries to execute a
| stored procedure with 65 parameters.  We can run this stored procedure
from
| Query Analyzer or ISQL/W with no problems.
|
| We upgraded the client to MDAC 2.6 but we still have the problem.
|
| Any ideas?

DB-Library Error 17805 Invalid buffer received from client

Post by Andrew Burhan » Wed, 20 Jun 2001 10:37:18

It runs just fine from ISQL.

> Andrew,

> Can you also run the stored procedure from isql (note no /w)?  This uses
> db-lib to connect.

> John Gose
> Microsoft SQL Server Support

> --------------------

> | Subject: DB-Library Error 17805 Invalid buffer received from client
> | Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 16:01:17 -0400
> |
> <Snip of Header Stuff>
> |
> | We have an old application that uses DB-Library to connect to SQL
Server.
> | It works fine connecting to SQL Server 6.5 but when testing the
> application
> | with SQL Server 2000, we get error 17805, "Invalid buffer received from
> | client".  Since this is a severity 20 error, SQL Server kills the
> connection
> | and the application generates lots of "DBPROCESS is dead or not enabled"
> | messages.
> |
> | The application can successfully connect to SQL Server 2000 and execute
> | several stored procedures.  It gets this error when it tries to execute
> | stored procedure with 65 parameters.  We can run this stored procedure
> from
> | Query Analyzer or ISQL/W with no problems.
> |
> | We upgraded the client to MDAC 2.6 but we still have the problem.
> |
> | Any ideas?

DB-Library Error 17805 Invalid buffer received from client

Post by Andrew Burhan » Wed, 20 Jun 2001 10:42:57

We're using NT 4.0 so Win2000 SP1 won't help.
The developer is changing the packet size but I don't know the results yet.
The application was developed in-house but we can't easily change the
dbrpcsend call to EXEC because of the output parameters.

Post by Erland Sommarsk » Wed, 20 Jun 2001 23:38:44

>We're using NT 4.0 so Win2000 SP1 won't help.

Sorry, I meant SQL2000 SP1,

Quote:>The developer is changing the packet size but I don't know the results yet.
>The application was developed in-house but we can't easily change the
>dbrpcsend call to EXEC because of the output parameters.

The entire batch you would send to dbcmd would be something like:

Sure it will be messier, and also less effective, but it is certainly
not rocket science.
--

DB-Library Error 17805 Invalid buffer received from client

Post by Neil Pik » Thu, 21 Jun 2001 04:38:10

Andrew - what version of db-lib dll's and SQL net-libs are on the client?

 Reply here - no email
 SQL FAQ (484 entries) see
 (faqxxx.zip in lib 7)
 or www.sqlserverfaq.com
 or www.mssqlserver.com/faq

DB-Library Error 17805 Invalid buffer received from client

Post by John Go » Thu, 21 Jun 2001 06:31:12

Andrew,

If it runs just fine from ISQL, then I believe your best option would be to
start pursuing some of the options that Erland Sommarskog has been
proposing.   Thanks Erland for the suggestions.

John Gose
Microsoft SQL Server Support

--------------------

| Subject: Re: DB-Library Error 17805 Invalid buffer received from client
| Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 21:37:18 -0400

<Snip of Header Stuff>

| It runs just fine from ISQL.
|

| > Andrew,
| >
| > Can you also run the stored procedure from isql (note no /w)?  This uses
| > db-lib to connect.
| >
| > John Gose
| > Microsoft SQL Server Support
| >
| > --------------------

| > | Subject: DB-Library Error 17805 Invalid buffer received from client
| > | Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 16:01:17 -0400
| > |
| > <Snip of Header Stuff>
| > |
| > | We have an old application that uses DB-Library to connect to SQL
| Server.
| > | It works fine connecting to SQL Server 6.5 but when testing the
| > application
| > | with SQL Server 2000, we get error 17805, "Invalid buffer received
from
| > | client".  Since this is a severity 20 error, SQL Server kills the
| > connection
| > | and the application generates lots of "DBPROCESS is dead or not
enabled"
| > | messages.
| > |
| > | The application can successfully connect to SQL Server 2000 and
execute
| > | several stored procedures.  It gets this error when it tries to
execute
| > | stored procedure with 65 parameters.  We can run this stored procedure
| > from
| > | Query Analyzer or ISQL/W with no problems.
| > |
| > | We upgraded the client to MDAC 2.6 but we still have the problem.
| > |
| > | Any ideas?
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > |

DB-Library Error 17805 Invalid buffer received from client

Post by Andrew Burhan » Fri, 22 Jun 2001 05:19:03

ntwdblib.dll    7.00.839
dbnmpntw.dll    8.00.194
dbmsrpcn.dll    8.00.194
dbnetlib.dll    8.00.194
dbmssocn.dll    7.00.819 (I'm not sure if this one is still used)

Are there any other dll's I should check.

It looks like we're using the SQL 7.0 DB-lib dll and we should probably try
the SQL 2000 version.  Is there anything special we need to do or just copy
the dll to the client?

Thanks

Quote:> Andrew - what version of db-lib dll's and SQL net-libs are on the client?

>  Neil Pike MVP/MCSE.  Protech Computing Ltd
>  Reply here - no email
>  SQL FAQ (484 entries) see
>  http://forumsb.compuserve.com/gvforums/UK/default.asp?SRV=MSDevApps
>  (faqxxx.zip in lib 7)
>  or www.ntfaq.com/Articles/Index.cfm?DepartmentID=800
>  or www.sqlserverfaq.com
>  or www.mssqlserver.com/faq

DB-Library Error 17805 Invalid buffer received from client

Post by Neil Pik » Sat, 23 Jun 2001 02:42:26

 Yes, I would use all SQL 2000 ones - and get the 2000 SP1 ones preferably.

> ntwdblib.dll    7.00.839
> dbnmpntw.dll    8.00.194
> dbmsrpcn.dll    8.00.194
> dbnetlib.dll    8.00.194
> dbmssocn.dll    7.00.819 (I'm not sure if this one is still used)

> Are there any other dll's I should check.

> It looks like we're using the SQL 7.0 DB-lib dll and we should probably try
> the SQL 2000 version.  Is there anything special we need to do or just copy
> the dll to the client?

> Thanks

> > Andrew - what version of db-lib dll's and SQL net-libs are on the client?

> >  Neil Pike MVP/MCSE.  Protech Computing Ltd
> >  Reply here - no email
> >  SQL FAQ (484 entries) see
> >  http://forumsb.compuserve.com/gvforums/UK/default.asp?SRV=MSDevApps
> >  (faqxxx.zip in lib 7)
> >  or www.ntfaq.com/Articles/Index.cfm?DepartmentID=800
> >  or www.sqlserverfaq.com
> >  or www.mssqlserver.com/faq

 Reply here - no email
 SQL FAQ (484 entries) see
 (faqxxx.zip in lib 7)
 or www.sqlserverfaq.com
 or www.mssqlserver.com/faq

1. SS2K Error 17805: Invalid buffer received from client.

Using an SS2K DB server being called by a webserver (running IIS) get
intermittent errors when calling stored proc to save order details - only
info in log is:

Error: 17805, Severity: 20, State: 3
Invalid buffer received from client..

The only info in the KB relates only to SS6.5. Anybody have any leads on
more information on this error?

2. WEBDB and OAS

3. Error: 17805 Invalid buffer received from client

4. Trigger trying to audit TEXT field changes

5. Error 17805 Invalid Buffer

6. FOR XML

7. 17805 invalid buffer

8. Does SQL Server 6.5 replicate to Sybase System 10?

9. SQL Server error: Invalid buffer received from client

10. Invalid Buffer received from client error...

11. Invalid buffer received from client.

12. Invalid Buffer Received from client?