Continuously starting up and stopping databases

Continuously starting up and stopping databases

Post by Jasper Kam » Sat, 18 Jan 2003 16:07:05

Hello,

I'm having problems with one of our SQL7 databases. It
continuously is starting up. In the ERRORLOG file I'll
find a huge long list with "Starting up database
Clients", "Opening file e:\MSSQL7\..." (2x), "Closing file
e:\MSSQL7\..." (2x), and then again "Starting up
database 'Clients'", and so on...

Every once in a while this database becomes Suspect
whenever it cannot be opened. You then get in the Event
Viewer a message (FCB/udopen).

Even the SPID's that are supposedly Starting up the
databases, according to the ERRORLOG, do not make sense:
the SPID's seem to take over from one another.

Could anyone please help me? Or point me to a direction on
where to look?

Many thanks,
Jasper Kamp

Continuously starting up and stopping databases

Post by Keith Kratochvi » Sat, 18 Jan 2003 16:16:15

It sounds like your database is set to autoclose.  Turn this option off and
you should not see all these errors.  Check Books Online

Autoclose SHOULD NOT make your database suspect....you might have a hardware
problem that is causing this.  You should look into the hardware and do some
diagnostics.  I would make sure that you take backups as frequent as
necessary to make you feel comfortable.  If your database becomes
unrecoverable, you might have to go back to one of your backups.

--
Keith, SQL Server MVP

Quote:> Hello,

> I'm having problems with one of our SQL7 databases. It
> continuously is starting up. In the ERRORLOG file I'll
> find a huge long list with "Starting up database
> Clients", "Opening file e:\MSSQL7\..." (2x), "Closing file
> e:\MSSQL7\..." (2x), and then again "Starting up
> database 'Clients'", and so on...

> Every once in a while this database becomes Suspect
> whenever it cannot be opened. You then get in the Event
> Viewer a message (FCB/udopen).

> Even the SPID's that are supposedly Starting up the
> databases, according to the ERRORLOG, do not make sense:
> the SPID's seem to take over from one another.

> Could anyone please help me? Or point me to a direction on
> where to look?

> Many thanks,
> Jasper Kamp

Continuously starting up and stopping databases

Post by Dan Guzma » Sat, 18 Jan 2003 16:16:28

Perhaps another process, such as anti-virus software, has the file open
and prevents SQL Server from opening the file.  SQL Server data and log
files should be excluded from virus scanning.  Separately, consider
turning off the 'auto close' database option.

--
Hope this helps.

Dan Guzman
SQL Server MVP

-----------------------
SQL FAQ links (courtesy  Neil Pike):

http://www.ntfaq.com/Articles/Index.cfm?DepartmentID=800
http://www.sqlserverfaq.com
http://www.mssqlserver.com/faq
-----------------------

Quote:> Hello,

> I'm having problems with one of our SQL7 databases. It
> continuously is starting up. In the ERRORLOG file I'll
> find a huge long list with "Starting up database
> Clients", "Opening file e:\MSSQL7\..." (2x), "Closing file
> e:\MSSQL7\..." (2x), and then again "Starting up
> database 'Clients'", and so on...

> Every once in a while this database becomes Suspect
> whenever it cannot be opened. You then get in the Event
> Viewer a message (FCB/udopen).

> Even the SPID's that are supposedly Starting up the
> databases, according to the ERRORLOG, do not make sense:
> the SPID's seem to take over from one another.

> Could anyone please help me? Or point me to a direction on
> where to look?

> Many thanks,
> Jasper Kamp

Continuously starting up and stopping databases

Post by Jasper Kam » Sat, 18 Jan 2003 16:58:57

Kieth,

Thank you very much, turning off "AutoClose" works!
I can't believe it was so simple.

Jasper

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>It sounds like your database is set to autoclose.  Turn
this option off and
>you should not see all these errors.  Check Books Online

>Autoclose SHOULD NOT make your database suspect....you

might have a hardware
Quote:>problem that is causing this.  You should look into the

hardware and do some
>diagnostics.  I would make sure that you take backups as
frequent as
>necessary to make you feel comfortable.  If your database
becomes
>unrecoverable, you might have to go back to one of your
backups.

>--
>Keith, SQL Server MVP

>> Hello,

>> I'm having problems with one of our SQL7 databases. It
>> continuously is starting up. In the ERRORLOG file I'll
>> find a huge long list with "Starting up database
>> Clients", "Opening file e:\MSSQL7\..." (2x), "Closing
file
>> e:\MSSQL7\..." (2x), and then again "Starting up
>> database 'Clients'", and so on...

>> Every once in a while this database becomes Suspect
>> whenever it cannot be opened. You then get in the Event
>> Viewer a message (FCB/udopen).

>> Even the SPID's that are supposedly Starting up the
>> databases, according to the ERRORLOG, do not make sense:
>> the SPID's seem to take over from one another.

>> Could anyone please help me? Or point me to a direction
on
>> where to look?

>> Many thanks,
>> Jasper Kamp

>.

Continuously starting up and stopping databases

Post by Keith Kratochvi » Sat, 18 Jan 2003 21:59:14

Great!  I am glad that worked.  Hopefully you do not have any more problems
with suspect databases either.

--
Keith, SQL Server MVP