losing data during transfer

Post by David Rile » Fri, 30 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I am trying to transfer a database from my development server to a
production server and the transfer appears to go thru but afterwards when I
check for the objects or data on the production server it is not there.  To
make it worse, the process is deleting all the data (not the schema) from my
development database.  I am using the default settings for the transfer.
Any ideas on what is going wrong???

David Riley
Information Spectrum Inc.
540.456.8277

losing data during transfer

Post by Neil Pik » Sat, 31 Oct 1998 04:00:00

David,

Quote:> I am trying to transfer a database from my development server to a
> production server and the transfer appears to go thru but afterwards when I
> check for the objects or data on the production server it is not there.  To
> make it worse, the process is deleting all the data (not the schema) from my
> development database.  I am using the default settings for the transfer.
> Any ideas on what is going wrong???

 Yup.

 Q.     I'm doing a transfer using the SQL EM transfer tool, and not only is it
not transferring the objects, it is dropping them from the source.  What is
going on?
(v1.0   07.10.1998)

A.      This is a known bug that is caused when the server you are connecting
to has a period in the name.  Typically this is because you are referring to it
by tcp-ip address.

What happens is that SQL sees the period and does a local named-pipe connect -
which it should do if the name consists of just a period, but not when it
contains a period - this means that SQL connects to the local machine as the
target.  As most people have checked the "drop objects first" box it then
proceeds to drop all the objects concerned from what it thinks is the target
machine - which is unfortunately the local (source) machine.

To prevent this problem do not refer to your SQL Server's by IP address.
Either :-

1.  Put an entry for the name/address in your NT HOSTS file -
<NT>\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC\HOSTS.

or

2.  Use SQL Client Config Manager to define a named connection for the Server
in question.  In the advanced properties put the server's IP address as well as
the net-lib dll needed to connect.

Then just use the server 'name' instead of the IP address in the transfer
to/from fields.

 Neil Pike MVP/MCSE
 Protech Computing Ltd
 (Please post ALL replies to the newsgroup only unless indicated otherwise)