Setting option to prompt SQL for login box

Setting option to prompt SQL for login box

Post by Jim William » Tue, 08 Apr 2003 09:57:01

I have an web application in which I am using SQL
authentication.  The application requires portions of the
data access to be protected by login.  In these cases, I
was hoping to use something silimar to the ODBC options I
have used for Oracle, AS400, etc, which allow an option
setting in the connectino string stipulating how to
handle connections with insufficient login info, i.e.
prompt always, never prompt, prompt if insufficient info,
etc.  In other words, let SQL take care of prompting for
login if necessary. I am using VB.NET to develop, and
have not yet found an equivalent method of doing this.
Has anyone else done this?  Am I taking the wrong aproach
with this new technology?  Thanks in advance.

Jim

Setting option to prompt SQL for login box

Post by Wayne Snyde » Tue, 08 Apr 2003 20:43:51

You need to handle all of this in your own vb.net code...

--
Wayne Snyder MCDBA, SQL Server MVP
Computer  Education Services Corp (CESC), C*te, NC

PASS - the definitive, global community
for SQL Server professionals - http://www.veryComputer.com/

Quote:> I have an web application in which I am using SQL
> authentication.  The application requires portions of the
> data access to be protected by login.  In these cases, I
> was hoping to use something silimar to the ODBC options I
> have used for Oracle, AS400, etc, which allow an option
> setting in the connectino string stipulating how to
> handle connections with insufficient login info, i.e.
> prompt always, never prompt, prompt if insufficient info,
> etc.  In other words, let SQL take care of prompting for
> login if necessary. I am using VB.NET to develop, and
> have not yet found an equivalent method of doing this.
> Has anyone else done this?  Am I taking the wrong aproach
> with this new technology?  Thanks in advance.

> Jim

Setting option to prompt SQL for login box

Post by SriSam » Tue, 08 Apr 2003 21:36:40

The SQL driver does not support these options, thus, you need to handle
these in your VB.NET code itself.
--
HTH,
SriSamp

Quote:> I have an web application in which I am using SQL
> authentication.  The application requires portions of the
> data access to be protected by login.  In these cases, I
> was hoping to use something silimar to the ODBC options I
> have used for Oracle, AS400, etc, which allow an option
> setting in the connectino string stipulating how to
> handle connections with insufficient login info, i.e.
> prompt always, never prompt, prompt if insufficient info,
> etc.  In other words, let SQL take care of prompting for
> login if necessary. I am using VB.NET to develop, and
> have not yet found an equivalent method of doing this.
> Has anyone else done this?  Am I taking the wrong aproach
> with this new technology?  Thanks in advance.

> Jim

1. Prompt Option Dialog Box problem...

Hello,

        I'm trying to build a customized menu system in VFP5. I want to
assign some shortcut keys for them. I want to assign the key "CTRL-ENTER"
for my Save option, and "ESC" to my Quit option. When I place the cursor
in the Key Label field where "(press the key)" appears, and then hit
"CTRL-ENTER" or "ESC", the window closes instead of writing the key
name in the field.

        How is it possible to bypass this situation and assign a "CTRL-ENTER"
or a "ESC" key as a shotcut key?

        Thank you in advance.

Louis-Luc

2. Welcome to comp.lang.pascal.delphi.* (FAQ)

3. Set @@TextSize for login user options

4. problem with a data report

5. Question: SQL Server Login Prompt

6. Info on objects in db

7. Access 97 / SQL Server: Login Prompts when query is run twice

8. DTS and datetime

9. Unwanted SQL Login Prompt

10. REQ: Help setting up Web box and separated SQL box with MTS Objects

11. Redundant SQL Login Prompt

12. Access 95 / SQL Server: Login Prompts

13. Instance prompt with login.sql