Connection Fail after installation - dbnmpntw write() connection fail

Connection Fail after installation - dbnmpntw write() connection fail

Post by fan_c.. » Fri, 29 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Hi

We have developed an app with VB 16bit and connect through ODBC to MS
SQL server.

Everything works fine in our office under both development mode and
run-time.  However after installed at the client's site with almost
exactly the same sw and hw configuration, we get the following error
messages from time to time but inconsistent, meaning that we are not
able to reproduce the errors:
dbnmpntw write() connection fail
sometimes they even encounter a connection fail when trying to log on.

The sql server currently is completely dedicated to this project.  Can
anyone shed some light on this issue?

Fan

Connection Fail after installation - dbnmpntw write() connection fail

Post by Chri » Wed, 04 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Is the client setup to use named pipes as the Default Network.  You can
find this out by installing the Client tools and use the SQL Client
configuration manager to insure that named pipes are being used and that
the correct Net DLL is being used by the client machine.  What you may want
to do (if you haven't already done it) is to walk through the ODBC setup on
the development machine and then again on the installed client PC to insure
that the setups, including dated DLL's, are the same.  We are using the
exact same setup and when I run into this error, it normally is due to the
client not using the named pipes network, or the incorrect DLL.

Good luck.

Connection Fail after installation - dbnmpntw write() connection fail

Post by Frank Yacan » Sat, 07 Dec 1996 04:00:00

To peform the kind of debugging you are doing, you should have at least
a good spying tool.  One comes free with the Microsoft ODBC SDK.  If you
can't get your hands on that, check out SYWARE, Inc at:

      http://www.syware.com

we sell one for $49.00

Good Luck
Frank Yacano

--
      .__________________________________________________________.
      |                                                          |

      |                 http://www.syware.com                    |
      |                                                          |
      |  SYWARE, Inc. P.O. Box 91 Kendall, Cambridge, MA 02142  ( \
    / )           Phone:617-497-1375    Fax:617-497-8729         \ \
   ( (|__________________________________________________________|) )
 (((\ \)  /,)                                               / )  / //))
 (\\\\ \_/ /                                                \ \_/ /////
  \       /                                                  \       /
   \    _/                                                    \_    /

Connection Fail after installation - dbnmpntw write() connection fail

Post by Robert Churc » Sun, 08 Dec 1996 04:00:00

A typical problem is that you have lost connection to your SQL Server. One
or more things has happened:
- The SQL Server Service has stopped
- The network connection has physically been disconnected
- You have run out of SQL connections. ( I hate this one!)

Post by bill » Thu, 19 Dec 1996 04:00:00

> Hi

> We have developed an app with VB 16bit and connect through ODBC to MS
> SQL server.

> Everything works fine in our office under both development mode and
> run-time.  However after installed at the client's site with almost
> exactly the same sw and hw configuration, we get the following error
> messages from time to time but inconsistent, meaning that we are not
> able to reproduce the errors:
> dbnmpntw write() connection fail
> sometimes they even encounter a connection fail when trying to log on.

> The sql server currently is completely dedicated to this project.  Can
> anyone shed some light on this issue?

> Fan

are you using IPX as the transport? i think that i have found a bug in the odbc driver
when using it. we have users that can manually attach to sql server (6.0) tables from
access(95), yet can only open tables that are about 50 rows or less. in addtion, these
same users can log in to the sqlserver using an app written in acces (7), yet after
the inital transaction are dropped from the server. this does not happen to all
users, and all hardware and software is EXACTLY the same (we have even gone so far as
to replace entire registries with those from working stations to test configuratinal
parameters).  i am looking into other protocols to see if it is indeed specific to
ipx.

i was told the reducing the packet size to 512 bytes may have an affect on this, but
it did not for us (i am a little suspicious if this is the problem unless you have a
network that is routed).

if you hear anything of interest, please pass it on.

thanks

1. Connection Fail after installation - dbnmpntw write() connection fail

Hi

We have developed an app with VB 16bit and connect through ODBC to MS
SQL server.

Everything works fine in our office under both development mode and
run-time.  However after installed at the client's site with almost
exactly the same sw and hw configuration, we get the following error
messages from time to time but inconsistent, meaning that we are not
able to reproduce the errors:
dbnmpntw write() connection fail
sometimes they even encounter a connection fail when trying to log on.

The sql server currently is completely dedicated to this project.  Can
anyone shed some light on this issue?

Fan

2. progress perm U.K. wanted

3. Ers: Connection Failed, Connection Read, Connection Write

4. Crystal Reports & VB3

5. Connection to cube fails using Excel 2000, Brio fails

6. Database / legacy & business systems / VPN integration

7. Connection fails due to: invalid connection string attribute (01S00)

8. like

9. SqlServer client connections hang, new connections fail

10. TCP/IP Connection to SQL fails/Connection Pooling

11. error CONNECTION FAILED ( CONNECTION OPEN (CREATEDFILE())

12. Hanging connections from a failed update or insert (connection pooling)

13. ADO connection passed to a DLL fails to maintain valid connection