Unable to connect: Sqlserver is unavailable or does not exist

Unable to connect: Sqlserver is unavailable or does not exist

Post by jmckn.. » Wed, 16 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Hi all,

Running NT 4.0 sp3
Sqlserver 6.5
using tcpip sockets.

I'm getting the following error message from isql/w:

Unable to connect: Sqlserver is unavailable or does not exist. General
network error. Check your documentation.

OS Error: 10061
Msg Number: 10004 Severity: 9 State: 0

ConnectionOpen (connect()).

Similarly, I cannot connect to the database from any application,
including the enterprise manager, or sql trace, nor through ODBC.

I've checked my path and I have c:\mssql\binn; c:\mssql\dll; and those
two directories have been added.

What I don't understand is that this used to work so I don't know what
changed to cause it break. The database is running yet nothing can
view its content. All the error points at is the DBPROCESS failing. So
it's a middleware issue. Yet, I can't find out what to change or fix.
I've tried setting up the sqlserver services to run under my account,
and I've also tried setting them up under system with interact with
desktop, which used to work fine as how I had set it up.

I bet this has been encountered before, but I can't find a decent faq
file on the problem. The online books don't help much, since I'm not
sure where to look. I've read the error messages section, looked at
dbopen() and the dbprocess description. I've also looked at the Event
log and the Sqlserver logs and found nothing. I'm not really sure what
the problem is, only that client software cannot see the database,
only I can't find _why_ it cannot see the database.

Thx for any help, or rtfm suggestions, or pointers to sqlserver faqs,
JM

Unable to connect: Sqlserver is unavailable or does not exist

Post by Frédéri » Wed, 16 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Funny that I had that problem this morning.
On the SQLserver CD under I386 there is an exe called ODBCPING.

Run if from the dos prompt and then try enterprise manager. It worked fro
me, but have no Idea why...

My problem could have been because of the server been moved to a different
town (and attributed an diffrent IP address).

Quote:>Hi all,

Post by Roger Rou » Thu, 17 Jun 1999 04:00:00

>Unable to connect: Sqlserver is unavailable or does not exist. General
>network error. Check your documentation.

>OS Error: 10061
>Msg Number: 10004 Severity: 9 State: 0

>ConnectionOpen (connect()).

>Similarly, I cannot connect to the database from any application,
>including the enterprise manager, or sql trace, nor through ODBC.

Try some of these:

(1) Can you PING the server from the command prompt of the client
workstation?  If not, you have a networking problem.

(2) Try replacing the server name with the server IP address when
connecting ... if this works, you have a name resolution problem
(LMHOSTS).

(3) Can you create a share on the SQL Server and map to it from the
client?

(4) Check the SQL Server installation, and make sure sockets is
actually installed.

(5) Try switching to an alternate network transport (named pipes if
the routers will allow it, or else SPX).  Make sure it is installed
both on the client and server.

(6) Check that the client has the same version of SQLSVR32.DLL that
came with the server version.

Just some ideas...

Roger Rouse

Unable to connect: Sqlserver is unavailable or does not exist

Post by jmckn.. » Thu, 17 Jun 1999 04:00:00

FYI,

After talking with this user, I found that since I am only running the
client locally to the sql server, I can use (local) as the server
name. This apparently allows me to connect normally.

I still can't connect via using the hostname given for the sqlserver,
for some strange reason. It's not really important at the moment, most
important that I can connect to it locally, at least.

As for answers for below, I can ping my server by name or ip address.
I'm going to try a client on a different box and maybe try to
troubleshoot this annoying network issue.

Also running ODBCPING says that it connects to the server fine.
However, running isql_w or the enterprise manager will not connect at
all unless the server is (local) (which probably overrides network
issues).

Thanks for the suggestions all,
JM

>>Unable to connect: Sqlserver is unavailable or does not exist. General
>>network error. Check your documentation.

>>OS Error: 10061
>>Msg Number: 10004 Severity: 9 State: 0

>>ConnectionOpen (connect()).

>>Similarly, I cannot connect to the database from any application,
>>including the enterprise manager, or sql trace, nor through ODBC.

>Try some of these:

>(1) Can you PING the server from the command prompt of the client
>workstation?  If not, you have a networking problem.

>(2) Try replacing the server name with the server IP address when
>connecting ... if this works, you have a name resolution problem
>(LMHOSTS).

>(3) Can you create a share on the SQL Server and map to it from the
>client?

>(4) Check the SQL Server installation, and make sure sockets is
>actually installed.

>(5) Try switching to an alternate network transport (named pipes if
>the routers will allow it, or else SPX).  Make sure it is installed
>both on the client and server.

>(6) Check that the client has the same version of SQLSVR32.DLL that
>came with the server version.

>Just some ideas...

>Roger Rouse

Unable to connect: Sqlserver is unavailable or does not exist

Post by dsatro.. » Wed, 30 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Have you had any answer to you problem? I'm
having the same problem here in my company. I
found that I can connect locally (server) and
from one server to the other, but never from one
workstation.
I've tried everything but nothing works! Please,
if you find any solution, share ir with me!

Tnkx!

In article

> Hi all,

> Running NT 4.0 sp3
> Sqlserver 6.5
> using tcpip sockets.

> I'm getting the following error message from
isql/w:

> Unable to connect: Sqlserver is unavailable or

does not exist. General
Quote:> network error. Check your documentation.

> OS Error: 10061
> Msg Number: 10004 Severity: 9 State: 0

> ConnectionOpen (connect()).

> Similarly, I cannot connect to the database

from any application,
Quote:> including the enterprise manager, or sql trace,
nor through ODBC.

> I've checked my path and I have c:\mssql\binn;

c:\mssql\dll; and those
Quote:> two directories have been added.

> What I don't understand is that this used to

work so I don't know what
Quote:> changed to cause it break. The database is

running yet nothing can
Quote:> view its content. All the error points at is

the DBPROCESS failing. So
Quote:> it's a middleware issue. Yet, I can't find out

what to change or fix.
Quote:> I've tried setting up the sqlserver services to

run under my account,
Quote:> and I've also tried setting them up under

system with interact with
Quote:> desktop, which used to work fine as how I had
set it up.

> I bet this has been encountered before, but I

can't find a decent faq
Quote:> file on the problem. The online books don't

help much, since I'm not
Quote:> sure where to look. I've read the error

messages section, looked at
Quote:> dbopen() and the dbprocess description. I've

also looked at the Event
Quote:> log and the Sqlserver logs and found nothing.

I'm not really sure what
Quote:> the problem is, only that client software

cannot see the database,
Quote:> only I can't find _why_ it cannot see the
database.

> Thx for any help, or rtfm suggestions, or

pointers to sqlserver faqs,

Quote:> JM

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Unable to connect: Sqlserver is unavailable or does not exist

Post by Brandon Roberso » Fri, 13 Aug 1999 04:00:00

For everyone's reference, when this occurs, there are a couple of things
that you should check.

Select "TCP/IP Sockets" in the Default Network box on the Net Library tab in
the SQL Server Client Configuration Utility.  The default is "Named Pipes" I
believe, which works fine when you can see the server in Network
Neighborhood, but doesn't cut it when you try to hit the server from a box
outside your domain.

You may want to verify that you can telnet to your SQL Server machine and
connect on port 1433 (the default port for TCP/IP connections to SQL
Server - unless it was changed when SQL was installed on the server).  You
won't get any text, but it should connect successfully ("Remote System"
should be grayed out on the Connect menu in Telnet, and Disconnect shouuld
be available.)

> Have you had any answer to you problem? I'm
> having the same problem here in my company. I
> found that I can connect locally (server) and
> from one server to the other, but never from one
> workstation.
> I've tried everything but nothing works! Please,
> if you find any solution, share ir with me!

> Tnkx!

> In article

> > Hi all,

> > Running NT 4.0 sp3
> > Sqlserver 6.5
> > using tcpip sockets.

> > I'm getting the following error message from
> isql/w:

> > Unable to connect: Sqlserver is unavailable or
> does not exist. General
> > network error. Check your documentation.

> > OS Error: 10061
> > Msg Number: 10004 Severity: 9 State: 0

> > ConnectionOpen (connect()).

> > Similarly, I cannot connect to the database
> from any application,
> > including the enterprise manager, or sql trace,
> nor through ODBC.

> > I've checked my path and I have c:\mssql\binn;
> c:\mssql\dll; and those
> > two directories have been added.

> > What I don't understand is that this used to
> work so I don't know what
> > changed to cause it break. The database is
> running yet nothing can
> > view its content. All the error points at is
> the DBPROCESS failing. So
> > it's a middleware issue. Yet, I can't find out
> what to change or fix.
> > I've tried setting up the sqlserver services to
> run under my account,
> > and I've also tried setting them up under
> system with interact with
> > desktop, which used to work fine as how I had
> set it up.

> > I bet this has been encountered before, but I
> can't find a decent faq
> > file on the problem. The online books don't
> help much, since I'm not
> > sure where to look. I've read the error
> messages section, looked at
> > dbopen() and the dbprocess description. I've
> also looked at the Event
> > log and the Sqlserver logs and found nothing.
> I'm not really sure what
> > the problem is, only that client software
> cannot see the database,
> > only I can't find _why_ it cannot see the
> database.

> > Thx for any help, or rtfm suggestions, or
> pointers to sqlserver faqs,
> > JM

1. DBLib Error Handler: Unable to Connect: SQL Server is unavailable or does not exist

I suspect that when I get the answer to this one, I'll feel stupid. I'm
going to ask anyway - stupid is becoming my middle name <g>.

I am trying to schedule a DUMP DATABASE using the SQL Executive. I had a
dump which I created and ran (successfully), and all I did was copy and
paste the TSQL into the scheduled. Now that it is in the scheduler, I always
get the error message:

"DBLib Error Handler: Unable to Connect: SQL Server is unavailable or does
not exist. General network error. Check your documentation."

I can't find any reference to this message in my docs (I don't have the full
set handy at this location).

I appreciate any friendly help you can offer.

ScottD

2. Versioning.....

3. where EXISTS / NOT EXISTS do not work (I am really pannic)

4. Using TOP keyword and FOR XML EXPLICIT

5. Unable to Connect - SQL Server is Unavailable error

6. Indexed computed column and Set options in a stored proc

7. SQLSERVER 6.5 Error 10004: Unable to connect to sqlserver

8. Support for JDK 1.4 in MS JDBC driver ?

9. Connection error (unavailable or does not exist)

10. SQL Server is unavailable or does not exist

11. SQL server is unavailable or does not exist

12. SQL Server is unavailable or does not exist?