problems with backups

Post by Lynette Schlemme » Tue, 18 Feb 2003 18:44:18

I am having problems when I try to backup user
databases.  I get this message when I try to backup
manually or using the maintenace plan.

 Database BuildingData: Database Backup...
    Destination:
[\\Earth\SQLBackups\BuildingData\BuildingData_db_200302151
730.BAK]
[Microsoft SQL-DMO (ODBC SQLState: 42000)] Error 3013:
[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]BACKUP
DATABASE is terminating abnormally.

This does not occur when I make a backup to the server
that the databases are located on.

The problem does not always occur on the same database.
The database that has the problem changes with each
backup.

problems with backups

Post by Wayne Snyde » Tue, 18 Feb 2003 19:25:31

I suspect the problem is either a network problem or (less likely)
security....

Check (with your network guy) on the number of network errors during the
backup...Also the SQL NT login must have write access to the network share.

--
Wayne Snyder MCDBA, SQL Server MVP
Computer  Education Services Corp (CESC), C*te, NC

PASS - the definitive, global community
for SQL Server professionals - http://www.veryComputer.com/

Quote:> I am having problems when I try to backup user
> databases.  I get this message when I try to backup
> manually or using the maintenace plan.

>  Database BuildingData: Database Backup...
>     Destination:
> [\\Earth\SQLBackups\BuildingData\BuildingData_db_200302151
> 730.BAK]
> [Microsoft SQL-DMO (ODBC SQLState: 42000)] Error 3013:
> [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]BACKUP
> DATABASE is terminating abnormally.

> This does not occur when I make a backup to the server
> that the databases are located on.

> The problem does not always occur on the same database.
> The database that has the problem changes with each
> backup.

problems with backups

Post by Lynette Schlemme » Tue, 18 Feb 2003 21:51:40

Would you have any other suggestions?
The network guy does not monitor network traffic.  He said that we there
is a gig of data passing between the servers and nothing else it going
on at the time the maintenance plans are scheduled.  We have them
scheduled for late at night when there is very little, if any traffic.
We are not having problem with our network during the day when network
traffic is heavy.  The SQL NT login does have write access to the
network share.  Thanks for your help.

problems with backups

Post by Sue Hoegemeie » Wed, 19 Feb 2003 03:12:07

I'd agree with Wayne in that it is likely network related
(but other issues are always a possibility). With network
issues, traffic isn't necessarily the one and only cause.
Have you checked the NT event logs? Being that you are
trying to backup to a network location, I'd look for issues
like redirector timeouts which would be in the event logs.
Could be a lot of other network related things - issues with
the NIC, etc. I'd comb through the logs for other clues on
where network communication could be causing the problems.

-Sue

On Mon, 17 Feb 2003 11:51:40 -0800, Lynette Schlemmer

>Would you have any other suggestions?
>The network guy does not monitor network traffic.  He said that we there
>is a gig of data passing between the servers and nothing else it going
>on at the time the maintenance plans are scheduled.  We have them
>scheduled for late at night when there is very little, if any traffic.
>We are not having problem with our network during the day when network
>traffic is heavy.  The SQL NT login does have write access to the
>network share.  Thanks for your help.

1. failure to backup database problem with backup device

I recieve this error when i try to backup the database
using the following procedure:

backup database ngnew1 to backup_device_ngnew1_a,
backup_device_ngnew1_b, backup_device_ngnew1_c with format

error:
Cannot open backup device 'backup_device_ngnew1_b'. Device
error or device off-line. See the SQL Server error log for
more details. [SQLSTATE 42000] (Error 3201)  BACKUP
DATABASE is terminating abnormally. [SQLSTATE 42000]
(Error 3013).  The step failed.

2. TX-DFW Career Opportunities for IT Professionals

3. Problem with backups to DLT drives

4. URGENT RESPONSE NEEDED.

5. problems with backup not taking place

6. Creating command buttons dynamically from code

7. problem with backup

8. FileMaker 5 Developer

9. problem while Backup.

10. Need help with a problem regarding Backup and Restore for Standby Server

11. Problem with Backup-restore DB and users

12. Problems with Backup/Restore

13. problem with backups!